Lettered Olive Snail

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo I was at the LFS and was convinced to buy a "cool rare snail" for $15. He had me at rare. Well totally forgot the name of it after I left and threw it in the aquarium. It's awesome! It has this giant foot and glides all over the sand darting in and out. One of the coolest things to watch.
Fastforward to the clearwater aquarium where they have a floroda snail ID board. Sure enough there it is the Lettered Olive. Cool I found it. Now after some googling I realize why it's rare in a LFS.

My question. What would you do with this dude and has anyone had any experience.
I have had him a while and figured the hermits were killing my astrea snails for their shells. Thinking I have a dead conch too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Soooo I was at the LFS and was convinced to buy a "cool rare snail" for $15. He had me at rare. Well totally forgot the name of it after I left and threw it in the aquarium. It's awesome! It has this giant foot and glides all over the sand darting in and out. One of the coolest things to watch.
Fastforward to the clearwater aquarium where they have a floroda snail ID board. Sure enough there it is the Lettered Olive. Cool I found it. Now after some googling I realize why it's rare in a LFS.

My question. What would you do with this dude and has anyone had any experience.
I have had him a while and figured the hermits were killing my astrea snails for their shells. Thinking I have a dead conch too.
This is a predatory snail and not a good find. They will eat any shrimps, snails and small crabs in the tank and achieve a good size. They are similar in habits to a whelk snail. Pretty snails though

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

thaifood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the state shell of South Carolina. The shells are very common to find on the beach here. I also find live ones from time to time. Would not put one in the tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I return him to the ocean?
As a general rule, if the critter has been in an aquarium, it shouldn't be returned to the ocean.

In this case, I'd say it could make a pretty cool sump snail; you can probably just feed it grocery store clams/frozen mysis and such.
The snail pictured appears to be the Lettered Olive Snail, Oliva sayana, which reportedly feeds on bivalves (clams, oysters, mussels, etc.), pods/small crustaceans, and worms.

Edit: And detritus/dead animals of other varieties too.

OP
OP
R

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule, if the critter has been in an aquarium, it shouldn't be returned to the ocean.

In this case, I'd say it could make a pretty cool sump snail; you can probably just feed it grocery store clams/frozen mysis and such.

Yeah it would prob meet the same fate in the ocean as tossing it. No sump and they need sand. I'll see if the LFS will take it back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back