Lid for Coralife Biocube 32g

GraveKone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 32g biocube that I took the top off and slap a prime on it and I need to get a top sooner rather than later so which are the best

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really aren't any that you can get a top on sooner rather than later, unfortunately. At least, none that will be ready-made.

BioCubes are bowfront tanks, which makes finding a lid that fits right quite difficult. They're common enough that most of the major lid makers (Artfully Acrylic, for example) will have templates for it, but getting one of those lids made is not a quick process, and made lengthier thanks to COVID. When I got my lid, it was about 2-3 months from the time I put my order in until I received it.

If you have a Tap Plastics or something similar nearby, you -might- be able to get a polycarbonate (never acrylic!) lid made for your tank. They have equipment in-shop that can cut to a template, so take a piece of cardboard and keep cutting and trimming it down until it matches the shape of your lid. Hand it over to the technician and have it cut from 1/8" (or thicker, but 1/8" is enough) polycarbonate. Pick up some acrylic cement and a handle so that you can take the lid on and off easily. If you're confident in your DIY skills and have a router (the woodworking kind, not the networking kind), you can cut the lid yourself. But remember to only use polycarbonate (Lexan), not acrylic.

Barring that, you can try to use something like Red Sea's mesh tank lid kit and bend the front panel to match your bowfront, but I personally wouldn't want to try that. Others have had success with that, but I don't trust my precision to that.

OP
OP
GraveKone

GraveKone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really aren't any that you can get a top on sooner rather than later, unfortunately. At least, none that will be ready-made.

BioCubes are bowfront tanks, which makes finding a lid that fits right quite difficult. They're common enough that most of the major lid makers (Artfully Acrylic, for example) will have templates for it, but getting one of those lids made is not a quick process, and made lengthier thanks to COVID. When I got my lid, it was about 2-3 months from the time I put my order in until I received it.

If you have a Tap Plastics or something similar nearby, you -might- be able to get a polycarbonate (never acrylic!) lid made for your tank. They have equipment in-shop that can cut to a template, so take a piece of cardboard and keep cutting and trimming it down until it matches the shape of your lid. Hand it over to the technician and have it cut from 1/8" (or thicker, but 1/8" is enough) polycarbonate. Pick up some acrylic cement and a handle so that you can take the lid on and off easily. If you're confident in your DIY skills and have a router (the woodworking kind, not the networking kind), you can cut the lid yourself. But remember to only use polycarbonate (Lexan), not acrylic.

Barring that, you can try to use something like Red Sea's mesh tank lid kit and bend the front panel to match your bowfront, but I personally wouldn't want to try that. Others have had success with that, but I don't trust my precision to that.
What about kraken are they any good

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about kraken are they any good

I've never used them, so I can't say. They seem fine though, and the turnaround time isn't too bad at 2-3 weeks. A little pricier than some of the other lid makers out there, but within the acceptable price range. I'd look around and see if you can find any user reviews. It does look like they have the correct template to fit your bowfront, and the price for a BC lid isn't too bad. If you're using a tank mount for your light, make sure to have them include a cutout for the light mount.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back