lighing MH 400w

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking in the Docs summer sale items, thinking I might ought to should maybe get some new bulbs. All I have collected are used.

Do you like XM or Hamilton bulbs?

Do you dislike XM or Hamilton bulbs?

Thanks

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with either bulb, but I have seen some good tanks with 400w 20k lighting.

digidana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with the 14K or 10K bulbs you have to then use actinics to get the light to be 20K, don't you?

i use 400w 20k XMs, and everything is growing really well. i do also have actinics, but only use them for dusk/dawn. you can't even see them on with the XMs on.

i don't know anything about the hamiltons.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a pair of 250w XM 10K's... More so because of their ridiculous PAR rating than anything else...

mkenochm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have 400 watt 20k on my tank and my corals grew like crazy. I don't know anything about the two brands that you listed.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking in the Docs summer sale items, thinking I might ought to should maybe get some new bulbs. All I have collected are used.

Do you like XM or Hamilton bulbs?

Do you dislike XM or Hamilton bulbs?

Thanks

Most of the tanks you see in Cali, or at least the people I've seen and/or spoken to, run 400 W Radiums on an overdriven ballast.

I will be getting a pair of 250w XM 10K's... More so because of their ridiculous PAR rating than anything else...

If you like any hint of blue you won't be happy. I dumped mine after a month or two. Your sticks will grow like mad though if you can avoid bleaching them.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have 4 x t5 actinics... The Radiums are just too blue for me with actinics... I figure they might be worth a shot... :)

macclellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my 14k 150w hamilton. Much higher PAR than 20k bulbs but still enough blue to make colors pop. hellolights had them on sale not too long ago...

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my 14k 150w hamilton. Much higher PAR than 20k bulbs but still enough blue to make colors pop. hellolights had them on sale not too long ago...

I didn't know those were hamiltons- I think. They look good and are getting good growth for you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back