Lighting for 100 gallon tank

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I'm looking at upgrading from my 20 long into a 100 gallon tank here really soon. The tank is 60x18x21 (LxWxH) and has an overflow on the back left corner. I have a mixture of SPS, LPS, and Softies in my 20 long that I plan on moving into the 100 once it's established. I have a 48" 6x 54w ATI T5HO fixture laying around. I was wondering if that would be a sufficient light for SPS up top, LPS and Softies in the lower half of the tank? Or if I should look at going up to an 8x 54w setup instead. I was just curious to get some other opinions while I'm still piecing together my equipment list, so I have something to mill over. This is my first reef tank of this size, so I want to plan it all out well before setting it up.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
RDA

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the 48" 6x54 laying around, which is why I was thinking about using it. I am open to buying either an 8 bulb 48" or even a 6 or 8 bulb 60" if need be. I just want to get the light that is going to be the best for my use in this tank, as it's going to be my main display for quite a while.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same tank and when it was first set up I ran six ca 4 foot T5s and could grow everything. I should point out that I was using Icecap ballasts that over-drove the bulbs supposedly up to 80W. I've since moved on to LEDs to save electricity and $130 in yearly bulb changes. Couldn't be happier.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello all.

I'm looking at upgrading from my 20 long into a 100 gallon tank here really soon. The tank is 60x18x21 (LxWxH) and has an overflow on the back left corner. I have a mixture of SPS, LPS, and Softies in my 20 long that I plan on moving into the 100 once it's established. I have a 48" 6x 54w ATI T5HO fixture laying around. I was wondering if that would be a sufficient light for SPS up top, LPS and Softies in the lower half of the tank? Or if I should look at going up to an 8x 54w setup instead. I was just curious to get some other opinions while I'm still piecing together my equipment list, so I have something to mill over. This is my first reef tank of this size, so I want to plan it all out well before setting it up.

Thanks for your help.
If the width is only 18 inches, 6 bulbs would be perfectlt fine imo.. you can add something like an led strip if you want. Maybe add more color, and can focus on a nice bulb combo. I run a 48 inch 6 bulb fixture on a 60x 18 tank as well.
Got sps on top and lps nd stuff on the bottom lol

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2017-03-09-11-04-23.png

OP
OP
RDA

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful. Thanks for the feedback. I purchased the tank today. I'll probably be going to pick the tank up on Monday while I'm off of work. I already have the sump, light, skimmer, etc. already. I'll probably go in the next few days to buy the lumber to build the stand with in preparation for the tank on Monday. Sounds like the 6x54w will be a good fit, or at least a good start. If I feel that the light is lacking long term I can always upgrade to something else and sell it down the road. But with the reassurance from others running similar setups, I feel like this one will probably do the trick. How far off the water surface is your light?

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do about rock (live vs dry).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back