Lighting for a 40 BR

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I'm building a 40 breeder tank to start keeping my first corals (I've done fish only for over a year with a lot of success) and I'm wondering what kind of lighting setup would be best. I currently have two 36" coralife T5 fixtures with two bulbs each, so four bulbs in total. Is this right for keeping lps and eventually sps?

Also, should I raise the lights above the tank at all? I've seen this a lot but I'm not sure if I'll need to with two separate fixtures.

Thanks!

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good quality bulbs (ATI, Giesmann, etc.), you would have no problem with LPS with those fixtures. I would even venture SPS would be fine in the upper-half and in the middle of the tank. However, I have never used that fixture myself.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good quality bulbs (ATI, Giesmann, etc.), you would have no problem with LPS with those fixtures. I would even venture SPS would be fine in the upper-half and in the middle of the tank. However, I have never used that fixture myself.

This. Make sure you're using good bulbs and you're good to go. I have a similar fixture with ATI bulbs and I've had good SPS growth.

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation

Im most likely going to buy two ATI blue plus bulbs and two ATI aquablue special bulbs after researching them a bit. Hopefully this will give me what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a lighting schedule or should I just try something and see what works for me?

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 lighting is really hard to screw up. If you get decent bulbs and put them on a schedule that feels right, your success will probably not hinge upon your lighting. I have an ATI 6 bulb T5 over my 40 breeder and I run them about 8-10 hours a day. I think I am on the high end of what you might see most people do, but that is because I like to see the tank under full lights as much as possible.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back