Lighting opinions

BennyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a query to everyone regarding lighting options.
I’ve got mostly LPS but after frag day now some SPS, curious on best thoughts for lighting that won’t murder the bank that will still get some nice growth from all. I’ve been considering some t5 along with ok LED until I’m able to get a hold of some nicer options, or is there lights that people have found works fine without breaking the bank? Tanks 3ft Aquaone 160. I’m open to suggestions even possible jury rigging things together.

Lil Boots

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a query to everyone regarding lighting options.
I’ve got mostly LPS but after frag day now some SPS, curious on best thoughts for lighting that won’t murder the bank that will still get some nice growth from all. I’ve been considering some t5 along with ok LED until I’m able to get a hold of some nicer options, or is there lights that people have found works fine without breaking the bank? Tanks 3ft Aquaone 160. I’m open to suggestions even possible jury rigging things together.

So what lighting is currently on your set up @BennyBear?

OP
OP
BennyBear

BennyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the basic mariglow currently, obviously not getting a lot of growth outside of zoas but tanks been doing well.

Lil Boots

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look through the R2R pages on people's feed back as to what works but everyone is different. Don't forget, the USA has different lighting units then us, lol
We run only LED's over our tank and we get good growth and colours from our SPS.
A mix of T5's and LED's would be suitable for your tank. There are plenty of good and not so costly units out there now but everyone's options are different.

Corndiggly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are on Facebook there are quite a few local reefing groups that have second hand equipment for sale which may be a good option to get quality for less.

OP
OP
BennyBear

BennyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, but I’m afraid of spending $400 for something maybe out of warranty that kicks the bucket quick. Who knows maybe Boxing Day sales if stores do them haha.

AidanMary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may be able to pick up a second hand gen 3 radion for less than $500, as long as it looks to be in good condition with no dead leds no reason a good quility fixture like that wouldn’t last quite a while.
Hung a little higher than normal it would be able to light a 3ft tank easily.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back