Lights Now or Wait.....

Lights on when 1st fish arrives or wait the 4 month period?

• Total voters

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 days in with no lights to avoid algae as my tank bacteria stabilizes. My 1st fish arrives next week. Should I fire them up or be patient and go the 4 months with no lights as suggested by BRS?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't need lights on. Imo turn on lights when you add something that needs light (coral).

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 days in with no lights to avoid algae as my tank bacteria stabilizes. My 1st fish arrives next week. Should I fire them up or be patient and go the 4 months with no lights as suggested by BRS?
I cycle with lights on (except maybe when introducing bacteria). I don't see lights mattering when it comes to establishing nitrifiers, and algae helps soak up nitrates and stuff so that's not an issue for me, less water changes. But, that's my personal preference and methodology.

Since you have been following BRS' method for 50 days now, so almost half way, I'd personally suggest just going the full length and keep lights off. I don't really know what the effects of not having any lights at all on fish, but anyways long story short if you are to follow a particular method that has worked for other people, I'd suggest going the full mile.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fish from day 14, but I didn't run my lights for the first few months on my new tank because my hood wasn't done yet (no lights). After I turned on lights, that's when things started to happen: rocks turned green, got dinos & diatoms briefly, and the tank seemed to come alive.

I don't expect that you can avoid or reduce the ugly phases by not running your lights for a specific amount of time. My best advice is don't let phosphate or nitrate ever go to zero. Fish help tremendously. Patience helps the most.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 203 71.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back