Lights off or sunrise/moonlight effect?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Is it better to turn your lights all the way on and all the way off, or is it better to stimulate sun rise, full sun, sun set, moon light, if your light has that option?
Thanks!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Is it better to turn your lights all the way on and all the way off, or is it better to stimulate sun rise, full sun, sun set, moon light, if your light has that option?
Thanks!

I think you are going to get a lot of different answers to this question. lol I prefer to have a hour ramp up/down. Does it make it difference to the survival and well-being of your animals? Not that I have read. GL

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sunrise/sunset effect. I basically see it like this - we're trying to imitate nature as much as possible, and in nature, the sun doesn't rise or set all at once. Probably slightly more natural for fish/coral to have a gradual process.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ramp up and ramp down.. especially if you got wrasses.. some fish would get spooked just because of the sudden change. My opinion and based on my experience in the hobby. Happy Reefing ✌

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do think ramp up/down is best. I may have worded my question wrong.
During the night, do you think its best to have the lights at total darkness with just ambient room light, or to have it a low blueish for a moonlight effect?

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do think ramp up/down is best. I may have worded my question wrong.
During the night, do you think its best to have the lights at total darkness with just ambient room light, or to have it a low blueish for a moonlight effect?
Most years have 12 full moons, 1 each month. I’d go personally complete darkness and once a month a moonlight would be neat to replicate nature (fish spawn and coral spawn during such events) also worth stating that the moonlight most light manufacturers represent is not accurate - natural moonlight is more on the red/orange/green spectrum. There is barely any blue hues in the moon spectrum.. lol ain’t that something. Quite honestly it’s your decision in the end mate. Happy Reefing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back