Limpets...Good or Bad?

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I think are keyhole limpets growing like crazy in my tank. They seem to keep the algae at bay and don't seem to harm anything. There are sooo many of them. Does anyone know much about them? Should I consider trading them for something else, since my tank is a factory of them? Any info or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. The photo below just shows an example of what mine look like. I can probably get some photos of the ones actually in my tank.

Attachments

• 01-image.jpg
    01-image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 752

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that keyhole limpets are bad. The ones you have probably are something different. If you do try trading them, don't advertise them as the keyhole variety.

treylane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scutus are a pretty cool limpet for reef tanks. They look awesome and are reef safe, though they don't seem useful in particular. :)

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it keeps you from having to buy snails and hermits thats a plus. Stupid snails can't even turn themselves back over @&*!

OP
OP
jules11vb

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks cparka23, I read the article. It is funny that they will just climb out of the tank. Sometimes mine do hang out on the glass out of the water just near the top. As for them eating the coraline algae, I doubt it because I have alot of coraline algae in my tank. Its growing on my rocks and sand, etc. I do hope that they don't eat any zoas or shrooms though.

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youd be surprised but the actual keyhole limpets are coral eaters. The ones that you have are probably some similar species that is the safe, algae grazing type. If youre going to advertise them, call em limpets. Limpets graze on the filmy algae that is on the glass/acrylic that we scrape off.

Thanks cparka23, I read the article. It is funny that they will just climb out of the tank. Sometimes mine do hang out on the glass out of the water just near the top. As for them eating the coraline algae, I doubt it because I have alot of coraline algae in my tank. Its growing on my rocks and sand, etc. I do hope that they don't eat any zoas or shrooms though.

Limpets are can be found in intertidal ranges on the shores as well, so being out of the water for a short period of time is nothing.

OP
OP
jules11vb

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at more "keyhole" limpet photos and I think that is exactly what I have. I'll try to upload photos of mine and maybe we can see what everyone else thinks. Most of them stay on the glass, but there are plenty of them that hang out on the live rock and on eachothers backs. Maybe that explains why I have so many...lol.

normanbates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey jules how much for a handful? and could pick them up also, i live in hixson

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back