Lion fish can’t get food down

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lion fish and he can usually get down some pretty big pieces and I know they can eat huge things but he was struggling on a decent sized piece of krill should I let him figure it out or what should I do

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lion fish and he can usually get down some pretty big pieces and I know they can eat huge things but he was struggling on a decent sized piece of krill should I let him figure it out or what should I do

Sounds like you are feeding pieces that are too big. Make them smaller!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should he be fine?

Well... you said he is having difficulty swallowing the pieces you are giving him. I suggested smaller pieces.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be okay.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... you said he is having difficulty swallowing the pieces you are giving him. I suggested smaller pieces.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be okay.
Ok I just wondering if he would choke or something

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish can eat pieces pretty big but that is no reason to feed huge pieces. Unless he is a very little guy, the size of krill should be no problem. To make sure there may not be something else going on; how long have you had him, what have you feeding, and how often have you been feeding. Krill should be fed very sparingly and not as a primary part of the diet. Krill has a high amount of thiaminese which binds vit B1 and can cause lockjaw, which in turn makes it difficult for the lion to get food down.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish can eat pieces pretty big but that is no reason to feed huge pieces. Unless he is a very little guy, the size of krill should be no problem. To make sure there may not be something else going on; how long have you had him, what have you feeding, and how often have you been feeding. Krill should be fed very sparingly and not as a primary part of the diet. Krill has a high amount of thiaminese which binds vit B1 and can cause lockjaw, which in turn makes it difficult for the lion to get food down.
I just got him yesterday and the fish store has been feeding him krill he’s around 2 inches maybe

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got him yesterday and the fish store has been feeding him krill he’s around 2 inches maybe

Ok not enough time for any nutritional deficiencies to set in, if you want info on dietary choices that are good for lions, you can click my name and "find all threads". Smaller chunks of food will be better. If you are new to lionfish I cover alot of info on their care in my threads.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok not enough time for any nutritional deficiencies to set in, if you want info on dietary choices that are good for lions, you can click my name and "find all threads". Smaller chunks of food will be better. If you are new to lionfish I cover alot of info on their care in my threads.
Ok I’ll check it out thank you

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any food recommendations?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back