Little squiggly fella. Found him in the water near the front glass.

magnificentNovice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he's harmless? My 40g tank is over a year old, but I'm 6 weeks into the hobby myself and still learning a ton. I've got some seemingly happy frags and fish, but I'm paranoid about things taking a hard left because I've been unknowingly negligent.

This guy was squiggling free in the water after a feeding while the power heads were off. I pulled him with a turkey baster and checked him out under the microscope.

Dorvilleidae?

worm_200x.png
worm.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If it was swimming around, then that'd be an epitoke; some epitokes are just part of the worm rather than the full worm (for example, some have just the back half of the worm while others are the whole worm). Regardless of which type you of epitoke you would have, that microscope pic seems to be of the tail rather than the head, so I can't tell what kind of worm you've got from the pic.

If it had a head with four tentacles on it, then Dorvilleid would be a good guess.

OP
OP
M

magnificentNovice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @ISpeakForTheSeas! Learned a new word today.

Seems like it's not a baddie, which settles my anxiety. Now I can stop looking at gnarly images of worms online

The other end didn't have tentacles at the head, it was pretty featureless from my angle. I thought I took a picture but I'm coming up empty. It was rounded off, best I can think of to compare is this, lol.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 12.58.01 PM.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @ISpeakForTheSeas! Learned a new word today.

Seems like it's not a baddie, which settles my anxiety. Now I can stop looking at gnarly images of worms online

The other end didn't have tentacles at the head, it was pretty featureless from my angle. I thought I took a picture but I'm coming up empty. It was rounded off, best I can think of to compare is this, lol.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 12.58.01 PM.png
Haha, yeah it's probably harmless then.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back