Live plants (alage) to add to tank?

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some good reef safe plants (algae) suggestions to add to my reef tank.

Looking for something that will just overall help the ecosystem within the tank. Got paired clowns, clouded wrasse, coral beauty, midas blenny, paired goby and pistol shrimp, cleaner goby, and a sally long foot in a 90 gallon, with 200 lbs of rock.

Tank just hit the year mark and seems to finally be out then "ugly stage". Got a couple pink skunk nems, flower pot, and couple zoas. Looking to add some more zoas eventually but I also like the look of live plants in a tank, that will also help with water quality.

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about more corals...?
Yeah I'm going to get there, but I had a big mess up a fee months back and lost a few hundred dollars worth.

Was all my fault, live and learn. Listened to my LFS and rose the level of a lot of things in my tank and did it to fast, while everything was already doing great.

So I haven't made the leap yet to buying some more coral yet, but plan on it. In the mean time, I would like to had a few live plants (alage) to help keep the water quality great.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing corals and macro algae in DT never really worked for me, but you could add algae to sump and create refugium there.

ladders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you looking for specific colors or just which ones help with the most export?

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, didn't know they didn't really work well. I like the look of live plants in a tank, biggest thing I loved about fresh water tanks. I don't have the space in my sump for refugium. I guess I just need to take the jump and go buy some more corals again lol. Cause I prefer corals then plants (alage).

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcerous algae is cool. I have some, halimeda and codium in my 30 with a 3+" sandbed. The Halimeda will eventually just pop up in the sand throughout your sysrem once established.
Codium grows fast and looks like a sponge or known ny its "dead mans figers" desciption.
Codium
Pom pom
Halimeda
Halimeda in my 30.
I am still looking for pom pom for the 30 too.
Halimeda at the bottom left. It was planted on the far right side a year ago.
20230716_104531.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back