Live rock and levels stabilization?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over 2 months old. And i bought when i started this tank 16 pounds of live rock from tampa bay. Its a 200G. With a 150G water volume. My phosphate and nitrate have never been that stable before. My phosphate not even moving and my nitrate as well. Is that live rock stabilizing the levels in my tank?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on bioload, how heavy you feed, other types of nutrient export (skimmer, macro algae). Lots of variables.

I have a 25 gallon with 20 pounds of TBS Ocean Live Rock. I do a 25% water change about every 6 weeks.

Edited to add that my nitrates get up to about 40 before I change water. Phosphates are undetectable with my API kit.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still VERY new and it's normal to have unstable parameters early on.

How much more rock is in your sump?
I worded my question wrong. My nitrate and phosphate are very stable. And im surprised how stable they are and was wondering if the 16 pounds of live rock in my sump are the reason for the stable levels. If they add diversity to the tank and stabilization

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worded my question wrong. My nitrate and phosphate are very stable. And im surprised how stable they are and was wondering if the 16 pounds of live rock in my sump are the reason for the stable levels
Likely a result of a balance between feeding and nutrient export. Whatever the reason, keep up the good work :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back