Live rock pests

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cycling a Waterbox 35.2 a couple of weeks ago and after reading through the forums decided to roll the dice on live rock with potential pests versus dry. I ended up ordering from Salty Bottom since they had the best price and went with 20lbs. of the coraline live rock since it advertised as having less potential hitchhikers. I opened the box and immediately noticed a large Mantis shrimp and a good sized Gorilla crab so I set them off to the side in a bucket and tried my best to inspect the rock for more without killing off all of the beneficial bacteria by keeping it out of water too long. I was cycling the tank and planned to do it with the rock in there anyway so after looking through them I placed them in the tank. I figured I'd have to catch another crab or two maybe or even another Mantis shrimp so after letting things settle a bit for a couple of days I looked for pests at night. I have so far pulled 6 more Gorilla crabs and seen 2 more dead ones at the bottom of the tank. I can hear a Pistol shrimp in there but have yet to see it, I did wonder why it would be making the clicking sound so often if there were nothing else really in there. I've never had one so maybe they do it for sport who knows. I gave my tank another look over a little while ago and notice a few small white things floating or swimming around. I waited for one to land on the glass to get a better look and of course it's a baby Mantis shrimp, there must be at least 5 - 6 more I saw plus who knows how many hiding in the rocks still. At this point I regret going with live rock regardless of the benefits in the long run because I've spent over a week trying to get these stupid crabs out and now am going to have to delay adding fish to the tank. Maybe I don't have to wait but personally I don't feel comfortable adding anything until the Mantis shrimp issue is resolved. Which brings me to this, what is the best way to get rid of them without tainting the live rock with anything? I know inverts are susceptible to copper but I don't want to add that because it will just seep into the rocks and sand and cause issues down the road for any future inverts. I'm sure a live rock guru will tell me I'm crazy or something but this is exactly the scenario I didn't want to deal with so unless I can guarantee there's no hitchhiking pests I won't be using live rock again. It's a shame too because I like the way it looks better and was looking forward to the benefits of using it but for right now at least it's causing me more work and headache. I could absolutely change my mind if I can get past the Mantis shrimp issue without too much trouble but I got exactly what I didn't want when I ordered this rock. Again, I understand hitchhikers will come along with the rock but this many in 20lbs. of rock seems like a lot but it's my first time ordering it so maybe not. Anyway, if anyone could advise the best way to get rid of all the baby Mantis shrimp I'd greatly appreciate it. I also had a worm of some kind that had a triangle shaped head with spiky things down its body, it didn't look like a Bristle worm but it was small and already dead so I didn't worry too much about it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock rocks! But that seems like a large amount of nasty critters for 20 lbs. are you sure they’re baby mantis shrimp? Any pictures? You could try a salinity dip by placing the rock in a bucket with high salinity water. Lots of stuff will jump the rocks.
I also wonder if they are really mantis babies...? Pictures would help.
As for getting undesirables out of the tank, the hypersalinity dip suggested above can help, and if you think there are things in the water column or on the glass, you could siphon the water through a filter sock.
(Or, find a marine betta or other carnivore and let it loose in the tank, lol)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your "baby mantis shrimp" are probably amphipods- there are a couple species that really look like mantises. Take pics and post them.

Bottle traps will catch shrimp and crabs just fine. Don't kill them yet- see if anyone wants them. Heck, you might be able to get a little cash for them. If there aren't any takers, either smash them quickly, or use clove oil to humanely euthanize them- it's not their fault they're in your tank.

The pistol shrimp is probably fine. They're usually annoyances at worst, and it'll likely go into the bottle trap eventually.

Try bottle traps for a few nights in a row before going to hypersalinity. Hypersalinity can work quite well, but risks killing a lot of your beneficial critters. If you do go with hypersalinity, be sure to have a turkey baster, long tongs, and bucket of safe water on hand, to transfer anything that might not be harmful as soon as it jumps off the rock. Ideally, transfer everything, then humanely kill the pests rather than letting them die slowly in the salt.

Oh, and I'd suggest putting anything you're not sure about in a bucket of good water, then posting pics here. Some harmless porcelain crabs, for example, can look like bad crabs at first glance. And you might have some mithrax crabs on there somewhere.

It sounds like maybe they got your rock out of the bottom of a bin, where a bunch of critters had accumulated, because that is a lot for 20lbs. But, hey- imagine how many helpful detritivores must also be on there!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for getting undesirables out of the tank, the hypersalinity dip suggested above can help, and if you think there are things in the water column or on the glass, you could siphon the water through a filter sock.
+1 on hypersalinity dip. I have also heard that pouring carbonated mineral water into the rock crevices can persuade mantis shrimp to leave the rock without hurting much else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s1oliver

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it looked like one but who knows so I'll try and get a pic and post it. I tried the hypersalinity dip on two rocks that had crabs in them and those jokers hung tough for almost a week. I had to pull the rocks out of water to get them out there, what a pain those things are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back