Logistics of switch from one tank to another

Matt Ziemer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am switching from a 55g display with 20g sump to a 135g display with a 40g sump. I have a plan but I would love some advice. Here are some parameters:

I only have one skimmer.
The new tank is being set up in the same location as the existing tank.
I am switching the substrate from gravel in the existing to shallow sand bed in the new tank.

My plan is as follows:

1. Move all my rock and as many fish as I can get into my 32 gallon water mixing container.
2. Put the remaining fish and coral into buckets to empty existing tank and sump.
3. Move tank and stand to neutral location (garage) and set up, with gravel substrate, sump, and filter sock only for filtration.
4. Restock tank with fish, coral, and about half the live rock.
5. Set up new tank and stand with live sand substrate, half the old live rock, and some new live rock.
6. Set up skimmer in new tank.
7. Cycle new tank for about 3 weeks, or until parameters are relatively stable.
8. Move livestock to new tank.

My coral is mostly lps and softie, so I think the temp tank will do ok with the filter sock filtration for a few weeks, with frequent water changes and close monitoring. I have a big ball of chaeto that I plan on putting with the new tank to help cycle.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Matt

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go about it a bit different. I would do all the live rock seperate from the fish. If you are putting all the rock and fish into one container i feem accidents are easy to happen. This should be a fairly quick swap over, no? So I feel they would be fine in the bucket without live rock for the time being while you make your adjustments. Just have as much from the new tank setup complete beforehand to make it all go quicker. Same for coral too, i would keep everything as seperate as possible while you make the switch. I dont see why this cant be done within a few hours.

-KC

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back