Long stringy floaters

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Recently I added a skimmer and used chemiclean to battle cyano and cleared it up in a matter of days. It seems to have stayed away however now I'm getting long, stringy what I'm assuming is algae growing at a super fast rate. Like multiple times through the day I'm blowing it off rocks and corals as it floats through the water and gets wrapped up in them.

When I first noticed it I thought it was vermetid Snails but it's not. They're Very loosely attached to rocks and in strands Maybe 2 to 3 inches long. Easy to blow off but they float around and wrap up on corals.

Very hard to get a picture of because my camera phone doesn't like to focus on my tank. The best I could do is below. The strand in the pic is parallel to the front edge of the Monti, juat under the growth edge on the rock.

Any ideas?

Params are
Sal 1.026
Alk 7.5
Phosphate .04
Calc 450

9b31e058c4a87e3e55b662cd4e1384d3.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Recently I added a skimmer and used chemiclean to battle cyano and cleared it up in a matter of days. It seems to have stayed away however now I'm getting long, stringy what I'm assuming is algae growing at a super fast rate. Like multiple times through the day I'm blowing it off rocks and corals as it floats through the water and gets wrapped up in them.

When I first noticed it I thought it was vermetid Snails but it's not. They're Very loosely attached to rocks and in strands Maybe 2 to 3 inches long. Easy to blow off but they float around and wrap up on corals.

Very hard to get a picture of because my camera phone doesn't like to focus on my tank. The best I could do is below. The strand in the pic is parallel to the front edge of the Monti, juat under the growth edge on the rock.

Any ideas?

Params are
Sal 1.026
Alk 7.5
Phosphate .04
Calc 450

9b31e058c4a87e3e55b662cd4e1384d3.jpg
Is it possible it's strands of the dead cyano?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only one in the tank currently ? Can it be removed from the coral with a turkey baster?
The coral slime can collect particles it the water. Creating this slime string. It there are no other areas of strings and no area’s of bubbles on the aquarium glass or rock work. You might be safe for now. The low PO4 and nitrate can lead to issues with Dino’s thou.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed that tank;) and how long are you running the white spectrum of your lighting?

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only one in the tank currently ? Can it be removed from the coral with a turkey baster?
The coral slime can collect particles it the water. Creating this slime string. It there are no other areas of strings and no area’s of bubbles on the aquarium glass or rock work. You might be safe for now. The low PO4 and nitrate can lead to issues with Dino’s thou.
No it's all over and goes away at night. I did just recently add a skimmer. Worth Turning it off for a few weeks to see if that helps? Maybe in stripping too much. I didn't have this problem before I started skimming. I do weekly water changes so maybe skimming isn't necessary on a well maintained 32 g tank.

Thanks all!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back