Long Tentacle Anenome Dying

TheGrimReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys!

New here, have read many threads and gained a lot of knowledge. I just started tanking again after about 10 years, and I am having some issues. My tank is established, however my issue at hand right now is a dying Long tentacle anemone. My wife just sent me the attached photo... I am taking him out and quarantining as soon as I am home and doing a water change on the primary tank, however does any body have any idea why he is dying?

I bought it two days ago- he never stuck to anything but was very healthy and stuck at the store. He did not fully open in this tank either. I drip acclimated for two hours. Parameters are as follows: 1.026-27/0Ammonia/8-9pH/ Need to test nitrates/trites. 55G tank, established for 12+ months. Need help!

I also can't seem to keep the glass clean of algae. I had turbos, but they died. Please assist with any constructive advice possible! Im pretty bummed out that my tank is looking rough. The tank as a whole is pretty solid, but this corner specifically is not great because it is where the nem is... I am open to any assistance from those who know more than me, as I want to contribute to a successful, beautiful tank. I know it is in rough shape right now and I have been doing my best to get it cleaned up, but I have been trying to be in there a minimal amount while trying to let this nem take root.

65040655633__F71AAAA2-B0C4-4869-AACA-DBF40EF0CCC0.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity at minimum there isn't much advice to give. By the looks a separate hospital tank and cipro might be the best course of action.

OP
OP
T

TheGrimReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity at minimum there isn't much advice to give. By the looks a separate hospital tank and cipro might be the best course of action.
Thank you. I will get him in there asap, and I will get those levels as soon as I am home from work.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed is a little shallow for an LTA. Dig a hole down to bare glass and set the nems foot on it. See if it attaches.

Is it still alive? Looking closer it's looking a little mushy.

OP
OP
T

TheGrimReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed is a little shallow for an LTA. Dig a hole down to bare glass and set the nems foot on it. See if it attaches.
I have a few high spots/Low spots, I dug him a spot in about 4" and put him down there but he just rolled around in there and then moved.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am sorry to hear about your stress, that sucks! I call my LTA my "glass baby" because watching it settle down, made me feel like it could break at any moment.

Idk how such a peaceful hobby can be so stressful.

Did you turned off the powerheads? LTAs are a little vulnerable to rolling over and landing upside down, blocking water intake and causing them to be strangled. If they do not immediately attach to a hard surface, they tend to have about the same control over their movement, as a potted plant in a hurricane.

Since it is that sickly after two days, I would guess it turned over at some point while bobbing around, and did not manage to get back up again quick enough. Cipro treatment might be able to stop the decay process from taking over but it looks to be near disintegration. The tank is going to mess up very quickly if the nem is releasing zooxanthellae before dying btw. That will look like a brownish sticky gunk on the surfaces.

Another thing that could have had an impact, is how long the anemone was in the bag before the bag was opened. The longer it was closed up in a bag, the quicker it needs to get out of that dirty water once air is let into the bag again. So if you had to transport the nem for a longer period before getting it home, that could play a part.

Either way, LTAs tend to be hardy once they settle down. Do not beat yourself up, if this one melts before you have the chance to figure out what is going on with it. It is a little like digging up a fully grown oak and throwing it onto a lawn during a hurricane after uprooting it from where it used to grow. If you get lucky they get thrown somewhere by the flow, where a good solid rock and some sand gives them a chance to replant themselves successfully. But besides being a very hardy anemone (once they settle down), introducing them to a new tank does seem to be a little more hit-or-miss than BTAs.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back