looking for a fan

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am building a canopy for my tank and have one fan i want to install one or two more. what is the best place to find them. any local prefer not to ship if i don't have to. so basically does aqua world carry them.
thanks roland

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roland me and my dad are building a canopy to post your build on here so i can get some ideas for my tank. and i think they do but not sure pm jeff.

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya my build is gonna be extra slow becouse of baseball and going out of state on recturting trips fro football so trust me i feel ya i have all the wood and stuff just no time to build.im only covering 3 sides with my design back is open for heat release that way i dont have to buy fans.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey killingseed2000 i though about pc fans to save money but my cousin said i would burn then up unless i had a power supply to regulate power to it.
Matt you have t5 you can get away with no fans but my m will boil my water with no fans. i am also building it because i got good reflectors now and i don't like the idea of my vhos and mh right next to each other.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I have mine mounted. I made acrylic brackets so I can swivel them:

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run computer fans , myself have been for a while and at the price they cost is very afordable. the cost of the ones that some of the online fish places charge i have like 4 fans and a couple back up which i havent even needed yet.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey killingseed2000 i though about pc fans to save money but my cousin said i would burn then up unless i had a power supply to regulate power to it.
Matt you have t5 you can get away with no fans but my m will boil my water with no fans. i am also building it because i got good reflectors now and i don't like the idea of my vhos and mh right next to each other.

All you need to run your computer fans in your hood is an AC/DC converter with matching voltage. You might actually have a few AC/DC converters in the house and not even realize it. Old Phone chargers, PC Stereo power cords, or any other type of wall mount that use to run smaller electronics and may look like this:
ACDC12V-small.jpg

I just replaced a bad sunpod (AC) fan with a PC Fan (DC) but I had to run a new plug for the fan. It is kind of ghetto looking, but the fan runs silent and I had a spare PC fan and AC/DC converter on hand. In fact if you want to setup some moonlights you could also use the same idea, but run them off a different converter so you can control the on/off function on your fans.

Let me scrounge up some examples for you.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a standard 12v 300mv transformer. I have both fans wired to it. They have been running over a year. They come on when my MH lights come on.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roland, I have several transformers laying around from old cell phones, routers and what not. You can have one or two if you need. Like Ficklefins said, no need to buy I have a drawer full.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME thanks for all the help.
Paul could i stop by your house next week some time. monday,tuesday, or wednesday

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also building a canopy for my 72 build that I'm doing. I'm going to leave the top open I think. It will be suspended much the same way that TJ (tswifty) did his, so it'll hang sorta like a pendant. Just having those 8" of open air between my tank top and the canopy bottom should help a ton.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ordered my fans from new egg i bought 10 small fans and they took off 70 cents per fan and free shipping. i will only use 3 of them to give me 4 fans total so i will have a few back ups.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back