Looking for advice on a few things for a new tank

peterat33rpm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 32 gallon thats been running for about two months now and overall doing fairly well. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the placement of my GSP and Xenia islands. They’re currently on the sand bed isolated in areas of relatively low flow. I put them there because I was told they can grow out of control so it’s best to isolate them. They both seem to be doing fine but I haven’t seen much if any growth from them in the ~4-6 weeks they’ve been in the tank. My question is should I move them (or just the Xenia) onto the left rock structure? I think the Xenia would look good there, and if it’s not growing *that* much, I figure it would take forever to cover the rock. Other corals are a hammer and 4 heads of zoa, both of which are doing well, and the hammer may be a little bigger than when I got it about 5 weeks ago.

Second question with regards to coral growth - my understanding is they like the ph to be like 8.3. I have a Fluval flex with the lid, and my pH basically hangs out at 7.8 - 8. What are my options to raise the pH? I don’t think kalkwasser is a viable option because I don’t lose enough in evaporation. Would a small fuge help? As for dosing/additives all I do right now is AB+ once a day.

Along those lines - my nitrates and phosphates have been pretty much 0 since starting the tank (phosphates might be 0.25 but I’m not sure I trust the kit). Should I stay the course and let the tank mature or start dosing nitrate and phos?

Last question - I added a twin spot goby about a week ago (I know, I shouldn’t have added him, I realized after I added him that they are very hard to feed), but I haven’t seen him since the day after I added him so I’m presuming he unfortunately didn’t make it. I haven’t seen a body so I’m wondering if my hermits have already taken care of him. My question is should I be worried/try to find his body? Ammonia went to 0.25 the day after I added him and a strawberry conch l, then back to 0 after a water change, and is now reading 0.25 but it’s an API test kit which as I understand will falsely read 0.25 even when ammonia is basically 0. Current bioload is 2 clowns, a firefish, a bengai, a strawberry conch, and like 10 hermits/snails.

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_3292.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them there because I was told they can grow out of control so it’s best to isolate them.
Hi! Welcome to the hobby :)

Ill try to answer some of your questions...

Regarding the xenia and GSP, they can spread, but it's not very difficult to prune them back... I'd place them whenever you like and move things around later if you need to.

Second question with regards to coral growth - my understanding is they like the ph to be like 8.3. I have a Fluval flex with the lid, and my pH basically hangs out at 7.8 - 8.

Don't chase pH. 7.8-8 is fine, especially for easy corals. A fuge can help, but it generally keeps pH from dropping at night if you keep it lit on an opposite schedule from the main tank. It usually won't raise pH significantly.

Should I stay the course and let the tank mature or start dosing nitrate and phos?
My advice to raise nutrients is to feed more...

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back