Looking to switch to triton in the next year, my thoughts on new filtration set up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Hey gang,
Really been thinking about applying the Triton method to my system. Currently I have a 60"x30"x24" display (187g), my sump is 35g @running level (65 totally full)with a 30g fuge attached. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a new house with the idea of a fish room being involved. So I have been thinking about a much larger filtration system, one that could either handle multiple tanks or a much larger tank than what I have.
Recently I have received an offer to purchase a few aquaculture troughs (125g each 8x2x1) and I'm considering purchasing two. The first would be used as a DSB/ refugium with tons of macros and mangroves, this would empty into the second trough that would used as a cryptic zone. This would probably be plumbed with a closed loop and the rock on an egg crate stand to help keep detritus from building up. I currently have a large black 100g trough which I would then house my skimmer, reactors (hopefully no need for GFO with such a large fuge) heaters and ATO. Dosing I would still do from under my display and use my current sump as a frag tank. I'm thinking with water displacement (rock, sand) that would be about 125 gallons of mixed fuge added and it being a 16' trip for the water before it reaches my skimmer area. It may seem over kill for the display now, but I would like to bump up to a 400/500g display in the future. What do you think?

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Triton recommends a fuge at least %15 of total water volume. Some nutrients are good. Don't want your system too clean.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back