Looks like a Paly, but is it? ID Please.

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, at first look this appears to be a paly. I even have some palys that look like what these are pretending to be. But, these are different (at least different from any that I can find info on). The first and most important difference is that these are mobile like an anemone, and like an anemone, once they find a spot they like, they tend to stay put. About 9 months ago, I purchased a rock with about 25 of these on it. I put the rock in a nice place in my new tank and was horrified the next morning when about 10 of these had "walked" to new positions all over my tank. The rock was still fully covered with the "mother colony". Just in case these guys turned out to be bad news, I removed the rock and placed in my old tank which I had for sale at the time. The new purchaser bought the old tank, moved it to their house and she even contacted me asking if it was normal for them to move as she was watching it crawl at the time of the conversation. She indicated that it moved about the speed of a snail. I assured her it was OK and that mine did that as well.

The second thing that seems to be different than the similar looking proto-paly (for lack of a better term) is that these do not seem to be invasive and have not spread in the nine months since I have had them. The other proto-paly colonies I have had in this tank have all tried to spread like wildfire. I have been meticulously battling the other proto-paly colonies and have kept them under control. These "walking" palys are not fast multipliers.

Difference number three is light. The similar looking proto-palys have a wide range of lighting tolerance and seem to do well in most any normal lighting whereas these "walking palys" seem to do well in mid to low light but do not do well at all in high light. I had about three that stopped their journeys in well-lit parts of the tank. Two have withered to nothing and one is a bleached little shadow of its former self.

Difference number four is one I just discovered. I am a professional photographer and spend a lot of time photographing my tank and learning ways to photograph it better. Since these are not the most spectacular corals in my tank I do not spend a lot of time photographing them but I have been inquiring about and researching what these might be, as the mystery continues to eat at me. This time I used a longer extension tube and zeroed in on the mystery walking palys and to my surprise discovered that these have polka dots on the stems making them far more interesting than I originally thought. I can find NO information about any paly whatsoever regarding palys with iridescent spots on their stem. If this is common, it is well hidden from my research efforts so far.

These are different enough from what I know and have learned about palys that I am starting to suspect that they are not palys at all and might actually be anemones that are mimicking a paly but that is just a theory. Any help would be greatly
ASH_7812.jpg
appreciated.

OP
OP
finnerman

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention size, the largest ones in the mother colony were probably the size of a nickel, possibly a bit bigger. The biggest I have is the size of a dime/penny and these two are smaller at half that size.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, at first look this appears to be a paly. I even have some palys that look like what these are pretending to be. But, these are different (at least different from any that I can find info on). The first and most important difference is that these are mobile like an anemone, and like an anemone, once they find a spot they like, they tend to stay put. About 9 months ago, I purchased a rock with about 25 of these on it. I put the rock in a nice place in my new tank and was horrified the next morning when about 10 of these had "walked" to new positions all over my tank. The rock was still fully covered with the "mother colony". Just in case these guys turned out to be bad news, I removed the rock and placed in my old tank which I had for sale at the time. The new purchaser bought the old tank, moved it to their house and she even contacted me asking if it was normal for them to move as she was watching it crawl at the time of the conversation. She indicated that it moved about the speed of a snail. I assured her it was OK and that mine did that as well.

The second thing that seems to be different than the similar looking proto-paly (for lack of a better term) is that these do not seem to be invasive and have not spread in the nine months since I have had them. The other proto-paly colonies I have had in this tank have all tried to spread like wildfire. I have been meticulously battling the other proto-paly colonies and have kept them under control. These "walking" palys are not fast multipliers.

Difference number three is light. The similar looking proto-palys have a wide range of lighting tolerance and seem to do well in most any normal lighting whereas these "walking palys" seem to do well in mid to low light but do not do well at all in high light. I had about three that stopped their journeys in well-lit parts of the tank. Two have withered to nothing and one is a bleached little shadow of its former self.

Difference number four is one I just discovered. I am a professional photographer and spend a lot of time photographing my tank and learning ways to photograph it better. Since these are not the most spectacular corals in my tank I do not spend a lot of time photographing them but I have been inquiring about and researching what these might be, as the mystery continues to eat at me. This time I used a longer extension tube and zeroed in on the mystery walking palys and to my surprise discovered that these have polka dots on the stems making them far more interesting than I originally thought. I can find NO information about any paly whatsoever regarding palys with iridescent spots on their stem. If this is common, it is well hidden from my research efforts so far.

These are different enough from what I know and have learned about palys that I am starting to suspect that they are not palys at all and might actually be anemones that are mimicking a paly but that is just a theory. Any help would be greatly
ASH_7812.jpg
appreciated.

They are probably a Palythoa sp.
The nomenclature changed... now the Protopalythoa sp. are called Palythoa sp.
I have many Palythoa spp. in my system and one in particular look just like those, but without those spots.
They can move on the rocks, but not as fast as you have described!
I think you're lucky!! Those are beautiful and should be kept in a small rock so they don't invade the whole system.
Give some frags to your friends to assure the species will be growing in other tanks too.
Very interesting!!
They don't look like anemones to me, but Palythoa.

More of those professional pictures, please?
Take some pics with white light too... :D
Aloha,
Grandis.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool looking. I have a paly grandis that moved from the frag plug it was glued on to the rock the plug was attached to. The move was slow tho took about a week for it to move half an inch.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool looking. I have a paly grandis that moved from the frag plug it was glued on to the rock the plug was attached to. The move was slow tho took about a week for it to move half an inch.
Yeah, I heard those P. grandis move too.
I like them a lot!!!
Too bad we don't have that species here in Hawaii.
Enjoy them, my friend!!!!!
Post a pic here!
Grandis.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I heard those P. grandis move too.
I like them a lot!!!
Too bad we don't have that species here in Hawaii.
Enjoy them, my friend!!!!!
Post a pic here!
Grandis.

Not the best photo but you can see the plug it was on to the right of where it sits now. Whats weird is when it closes up it actually disappears under the sand. I hop that doesnt keep it from propagating, still only one polyp after 3-4 months.
IMG_2146.JPG

OP
OP
finnerman

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen where palys and zoas have crept off a plug but it was a very slow process, as you have described. These guys can move halfway across a 48" tank overnight. I have read no other accounts of a zoas or palys doing this.

OP
OP
finnerman

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photo but you can see the plug it was on to the right of where it sits now. Whats weird is when it closes up it actually disappears under the sand. I hop that doesnt keep it from propagating, still only one polyp after 3-4 months.
IMG_2146.JPG

Nice! I like that long lash guy too. I don't have any sand so it rocks or rocks for them.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen where palys and zoas have crept off a plug but it was a very slow process, as you have described. These guys can move halfway across a 48" tank overnight. I have read no other accounts of a zoas or palys doing this.
Yea that is weird. I see they also have fluorescent green spots on the stocks like bta's and some flower nems have. Are they that colorful in person or is the camera just making them pop that much?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2146.JPG
Very interesting indeed!!!!
Hummm...
Grandis.

OP
OP
finnerman

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is weird. I see they also have fluorescent green spots on the stocks like bta's and some flower nems have. Are they that colorful in person or is the camera just making them pop that much?

They are that green under actinics. I have been working on a project over the past couple of months to get the color in my photographs to match the actual colors under my blue lighting. So this is what they look like in the evening. These are zoa (these two are the size of my orange oxides) sized creatures so the spots are very tiny and I never noticed them until I photographed them with a 100mm macro and an extension tube. The evidence tells me that these are anemones but I can not find proof of that either.

OP
OP
finnerman

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is the only one left that landed in an area with bright lighting. I do not have a par reading for this spot but it is growing inches from a Tyree Setosa. It was dime size, to begin with, and has shrunk to pencil erasure size. This image does show the structure pretty well.

ASH_7825.jpg

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is the only one left that landed in an area with bright lighting. I do not have a par reading for this spot but it is growing inches from a Tyree Setosa. It was dime size, to begin with, and has shrunk to pencil erasure size. This image does show the structure pretty well.

ASH_7825.jpg
Amazing looking.

Back