Losing fish and invertebrates left AND right!?

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month, I have lost every single invertebrate I have purchased, as well as four other fish. I have a 49 gallon bowfront aquarium with an FX4 fluval filter, which is double the filtration "required" for the tank.

The first issue I noticed was that my specific gravity was way off. So I did distilled water to decrease it, which was successful. I have checked the PH constantly, but the levels tend to fluctuate. Recently, the ammonia just spiked and killed my hogfish I had bought less than two weeks ago. The other fish I have right now are OK (knock on wood) but my Haitian anemone died. I'm truthfully at a loss, but I'm starting to think there may be a fish disease involved. But... Which one? I know for sure, it is not ICK. But I truthfully have noooooo idea what other diseases there are? I currently have two Ocellaris Clownfish that have been there throughout the whole thing (but, the third I bought died) one six line wrasse and one lunar wrasse. I also have a blennie who is loving life.

Suggestions?? Thoughts??? HELP!!

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post your exact tank parameters so that the experts can give you better help.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Sorry for your losses, but we'd need to know more about the tank conditions to help troubleshoot. For example, how long has the tank been successfully up and running with this livestock? And no offense, but a single canister filter is very basic filtration for a saltwater tank... it is not impossible, but not extremely forgiving.

The double "required" is based on their marketing ... I have a 35 gallon tank with sump, sock filters, heater, chiller, protein skimmer, ozone, algae scrubber, ATO, and carbon/gfo canisiter.. and it's not "maintenance free".

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post your exact tank parameters so that the experts can give you better help.
Ah, yes! Of course....

The parameters are....

PH - between 7.4 and 7.8
AMMONIA - 0 (earlier in the day, when the dead fish was JUST removed, it was bout 0.5)
NITRATE - 10ppm - tips for reduction?
NITRITE - 0

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Sorry for your losses, but we'd need to know more about the tank conditions to help troubleshoot. For example, how long has the tank been successfully up and running with this livestock? And no offense, but a single canister filter is very basic filtration for a saltwater tank... it is not impossible, but not extremely forgiving.

The double "required" is based on their marketing ... I have a 35 gallon tank with sump, sock filters, heater, chiller, protein skimmer, ozone, algae scrubber, ATO, and carbon/gfo canisiter.. and it's not "maintenance free".
Most definitely recognize it's not maintenance free.. The tank was cycled for about one month before adding any livestock. The clownfish have been in there and have survived since the end of April, so nearly 3 months. I have a heater, algae scrubber and so on. What are the other things you have referenced and what do I need to know about them. I'm interested in learning more - because I'm obviously quite new to this. I've been handling fresh successfully for years, but I'm new to the salt.

Thoughts??

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert but it always seems that most people with problems early on have ‘smaller’ tanks and odd filtration.

skimmer. live rock. stability. good water. That seems to go a long way to success.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there may be other issues causing your problems.. assuming your ammonia is zero and nitrites are zero, basic bacteria is good. nitrates of 10 wont cause you any issues (or at least none of your listed issues). my guess is your salinity was off (or anything for example, pH) and after some period of time started a chain reaction... possibly the anemone died and nuked the tank...

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert but it always seems that most people with problems early on have ‘smaller’ tanks and odd filtration.

skimmer. live rock. stability. good water. That seems to go a long way to success.
What filtration would you recommend? Everyone I've talked to before has sworn by Fluval. Thats what I have for my fresh and it has never caused any problems.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thought, do you buy or make your salt, and what do you usually use for top off water? many folks that use treated tap also run into issues down the road.

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thought, do you buy or make your salt, and what do you usually use for top off water? many folks that use treated tap also run into issues down the road.
I have been making it, as I don't know where to buy bulk salt. So yes, treated tap could definitely be the issue. Is there a website you'd recommend? I will be moving shortly, so it would be a good time to change it up if needed.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filtration would you recommend? Everyone I've talked to before has sworn by Fluval. Thats what I have for my fresh and it has never caused any problems.
nothing wrong with Fluval... its just a canister filter.. great for freshwater... but only barely adequate for saltwater (not Fluval, the canister). again it can be done, but you need to be extremely diligent, precise, and have low stocking numbers). Some people crash their tank when they clean the filter because they clean out all of the good bacteria and then the bio load is too high.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been making it, as I don't know where to buy bulk salt. So yes, treated tap could definitely be the issue. Is there a website you'd recommend? I will be moving shortly, so it would be a good time to change it up if needed.
.. Bulk Reef Supply lol - there are a billion places to buy salt, but one of the largest online retailer is in your state!

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing wrong with Fluval... its just a canister filter.. great for freshwater... but only barely adequate for saltwater (not Fluval, the canister). again it can be done, but you need to be extremely diligent, precise, and have low stocking numbers). Some people crash their tank when they clean the filter because they clean out all of the good bacteria and then the bio load is too high.
Truthfully, I haven't done the filter since the first cycle. Suggestions on doing it properly? I meant to create a separate form for this, but since we are already on the subject....

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. Bulk Reef Supply lol - there are a billion places to buy salt, but one of the largest online retailer is in your state!
Good to know. I've been going to my LCS, which is why it's soooo expensive. Thank you for your help! Hope for no more losses. My heart can't take it anymore.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my opinion... a tank with an overflow into a sump with live rock is your best bet... you can put a protein skimmer in the sump and anything else (eg heater)..

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my opinion... a tank with an overflow into a sump with live rock is your best bet... you can put a protein skimmer in the sump and anything else (eg heater)..
Personal recommendation as to where to purchase? What is the price range?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at bulkreefsupply.com to get an idea.. you'd either need to buy a new tank (with overflow), or buy an overflow attachment for your current tank.. and a sump. Trigger and Fiji are good brands (but there are plenty of others)..

again you can run a tank off a canister... it is just a lot of work.. i used canisters for years (you know back when McDonald's hamburgers were 29 cents). treated tap water, under gravel filters, etc.. but over the last decades, folks have realized fresh and saltwater tanks have significantly different filtration needs... i have had the fluval FX6 (2 of them) and again great filters, but a lot of work to maintain..

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at bulkreefsupply.com to get an idea.. you'd either need to buy a new tank (with overflow), or buy an overflow attachment for your current tank.. and a sump. Trigger and Fiji are good brands (but there are plenty of others)..

again you can run a tank off a canister... it is just a lot of work.. i used canisters for years (you know back when McDonald's hamburgers were 29 cents). treated tap water, under gravel filters, etc.. but over the last decades, folks have realized fresh and saltwater tanks have significantly different filtration needs... i have had the fluval FX6 (2 of them) and again great filters, but a lot of work to maintain..
I'm on the website now! I definitely had no idea about the filtration issues. I knew they were different and that they require different things... But I thought Fluval was a good, universal, filtration type. Anyways - thanks for the responses and advice! I appreciate it greatly

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. so to add.. basic purchase for me... would be -

a tank with an overflow
a sump (i like the fleece roller, but sock filters work too)
protein skimmer
heater (chiller only if needed)
turf scrubber (not necessary, but great)

auto top off (cause I suck at keeping up)
good lighting (if keeping corals)

if you really want detailed advice.. feel free to PM me..

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again, just my opinion and experience... I am not really someone to ask on a budget either... as I spend thousands of dollars a year on this hobby :)

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back