Lost 3 fish in 2 weeks...What other Parameters are key?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My 38 gallon breeder has been up and running since late February. In the past 2 weeks, I've lost 3 out of my 5 fish.

I've had all 3 for at the least 1 month and more. All were looking healthy and eating hardy, with no markings on the body or fins:
1) Tailspot Blenny that disappeared overnight, remains never found (assuming CuC got to it)
2) McCosker Wrasse that was swimming and eating but found dead the next morning, straddled by my PomPom Crab
3) Royal Gramma that was never shy or timid, but one day was hiding a lot (but still eating) and found dead two days later

And now my Firefish has been under a rock the past 2 days, not eating and breathing somewhat heavy. But again no markings on the body or fins when I last saw it swimming about.
My 5th and final fish is a PJ Cardinal that is still swimming about and looks like it has no issues (fingers crossed it stays that way)

I do weekly water changes with RODI. My parameters have been constant each week at the numbers below, but is there something I should be testing for that may be the cause of these string of deaths?

Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.2
Phos: .03
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alk: 7.0
Magnesium: 1200
Calcium: 400

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are no physical signs like with a protazoan disease like ick or velvet, it could be internal parasites. These are the most possibilities, internal parasites can take a few weeks to be deadly. Look for stringy poo, not eating, faded color, lethargy. If you are getting them from the same source it could be cyanide poisoning.

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are no physical signs like with a protazoan disease like ick or velvet, it could be internal parasites. These are the most possibilities, internal parasites can take a few weeks to be deadly. Look for stringy poo, not eating, faded color, lethargy. If you are getting them from the same source it could be cyanide poisoning.
Thank you lion king...I'm baffled as they all were eating well, vibrant in color and swimming actively with the exception of the Royal Gramma and Firefish who stayed under a rock 1-2 days before they passed. My lone remaining PJ Card still looks healthy and ate very well today when I fed it. And I've only used 2 sources for my fish so far: my LFS (Firefish, Blenny and Card) and SaltWaterFish.com (Gramma and Wrasse).
(Update from my original post, the Firefish appears to have also died as I cannot see it in the tank, assuming wedged under a rock cave or disposed by my CuC).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back