Lots going on, none of it good.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I get home from work last evening after working three 12 hour shifts over the weekend (I'm a nurse) and the first thing I do, as always, is look at the tank. Several things pop out at me...many corals closed up and looking angry, reddish brown stringy stuff everywhere and pH is 8.53 (normally at this time of day it would be 8 or just over). I know something is super wrong, I'm just not sure what yet. I'd had the protein skimmer off for a few days because I had epoxied some corals in place last week...so I figure it can't hurt to turn it back on and let it take stuff out of the water..of course it's still going nuts and taking out all kinds of water but I just diverted it into a pail and let it go. I figured I would just add makeup water and that would help things. Removed and replaced about 10-12 gal of water that way..it's an 80 gallon tank.
The pH was starting to slowly come down but I added a bit of vinegar just to help it along, not much...3 or 4ml. I blew algae or whatever it was off the corals with a turkey baster and would've liked to have siphoned some of it off the bottom and rocks, but I was just too beat. Ph was down to 8.3 by that time and I went to bed.
This morning the pH is ok at 8.1, quite a bit of the reddish brown stuff is gone but corals still looking pretty angry and upon having a closer look I believe they are expelling some of their zooxanthellae, though it's hard to tell because it looks a lot like the stringy stuff.
Time to do some testing...pH 8.11, temp 77.9, ammonia, nitrate are zero and nitrate is zero which I can't understand because I feed the fish quite heavily at least twice a day (frozen and sometimes a bit of masstick). Dkh is 7.8 and calcium is 504 and then 544! I checked it twice with the Hanna checker just to be sure. I have no way to test po4 at present but I did order a Hanna checker.
Now to what I've been doing (prepare for some user error because I know there's got to be some in here somewhere). I have a Tunze ATO where I run kalkwasser. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of this since we've had a few "incidents" involving you guessed it- user error. But it is what it is and that's what I have. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to add some two part in a rather random fashion since i forget to do it most days...but when I do I add about 8ml of each. As I said the protein skimmer was off for the three days. The return empties into a filter sock where I had some rather old carbon. No other filtration. For flow I have a Maxspect gyre 200 and an octopulse 2 power head. I have Kessil Tuna blue 360 lights x 2. Couldn't tell you what the settings are because I only got them working with the controller after fooling around with them for a few days until randomly something clicked. I haven't changed the settings because I don't know how I did it the first time and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it again! I can say it comes on about 9 am with just the blues..ramps up during the day to about 90% at around one pm and then at 4 slowly dims back down and goes off around 9pm. I have quite a lot of rock....some of it live and some is that manufactured rock made to look like live rock but comes in convenient shapes. I have one small bristle tooth tang, two clowns, a citron goby, two pearly jawfish, a melanarus wrasse and a possum wrasse. Also one cleaner shrimp, a tuxedo urchin, about ten various snails and three or four hermits. For corals I have mostly LPS, zoas and a few frags of SPS that I won at one of the online live sales.
That's about it..sorry for the long post but I wanted to give the most complete picture possible so if anyone wants to chime in to give me some advice that would be great! I'm worried about my corals, though all the fish seem to be fine. I'm not sure which direction to go next.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and was it doing fine until you turned the skimmer off?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like you had an issue of some sort with the Kalk. Honestly, unless you have a true understanding of Kalkwasser I would try to simplify the setup and try a dosing pump to keep things more stable. I have seen on many occasions an overdose with kalk and it usually ends up ugly. I would try to get my alkalinity up a little and don't worry to much about the calcium, it will come down on its own. What is your magnesium level?
Keep us up to date with the progress.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and was it doing fine until you turned the skimmer off?
The tank was started early April. I would say yes, it was doing ok around the time I shut off the skimmer, though I'd had an ongoing battle with hair algae which I know is normal for a new tank. I had added some Vibrant...maybe about 3 times in the last 3 weeks, to help with the hair algae. I forgot to mention that.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like you had an issue of some sort with the Kalk. Honestly, unless you have a true understanding of Kalkwasser I would try to simplify the setup and try a dosing pump to keep things more stable. I have seen on many occasions an overdose with kalk and it usually ends up ugly. I would try to get my alkalinity up a little and don't worry to much about the calcium, it will come down on its own. What is your magnesium level?
Keep us up to date with the progress.
Unfortunately I have virtually no room left around the tank to put anything! As it is my husband had to drill a hole in the floor to run a heavy duty extension cord up from the cellar so we could plug everything in. The side of the stand looks like the Christmas light scene from National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation". We also have three dogs, a cat and a parrot who all hang out in that same room with us. The room is 13x15. Could we have built the stand two feet wider? Absolutely.....back THEN...lol! But with what I've got right now...what's the best thing to do? So my calcium will come down on its own...I'll stop the kalkwasser for now. Will my ph stay stable or should I have something on hand to mitigate that? Oops...I have no way to measure mag...will work on that. Why do you think I have no measurable nitrate...even though I feed heavily?

Ari_Ball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, if you see stuff like spider wed stuff on your coral, try to feed fish less, turn off your light for 1-2 days totally, and add seachem stability and turn off your skimmer after you add them.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would stop dosing everything....Vibrant, Vinegar, Kalk, 2 part, etc. until everything becomes stable. A stable PH is more important than a high fluctuating PH. Leave your skimmer on and run everything else as normal, testing daily, especially ALK.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with waters.. stop putting all that stuff in your water and stop top chasing numbers the only thing you need to worry about is salinity and temp, let your tank mature and stabilize naturally it may take upwards of a year or more for your tank to fully stabilize.

so I figure it can't hurt to turn it back on and let it take stuff out of the water..of course it's still going nuts and taking out all kinds of water but I just diverted it into a pail and let it go

Be aware that diverting large amounts of over flow from your skimmer into a bucket is going to lower your salinity.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone about not putting stuff into tank until it gets stable. It seems like a lot of livestock for a young tank and not sure if the beneficial bacteria count has caught up to a sustainable level yet. Please note that trace elements are being replenished every time water change is done. Adding supplements should start after/when u notice coral growth has slowed and tests show water changes are no longer sustaining desired levels. Pls recognize that dosing or using kalk is to replenish elements that are being used up and not just adding for the sake of chasing #'s. To calculate the amount of dosing, measure the tank water levels and also freshly made saltwater levels. The difference between the freshly made saltwater and old tank water is the amount of elements to make up via water change/dosing/calcium reactor etc.

Back