Low Alk, normal Cal, and high Mag? What to do?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looking off so did some testing this morning. Using Nyos kit for N and P and Red Sea kit for Alk, Cal, and Mag.

N: 1
P: 0.05
Alk: 5.6!!! (tested twice)
Cal: 435
Mag: 1800

I manage Alk and Cal with Kalk in my ATO. Using a concentration of 8 tbsp. per 5 gallons. From the reading I have done it is time to switch to two part.

My understanding is Kalk will raise Alk and Cal at the same time but the tank will eat up Alk faster than the Cal and that is the likely cause of my issue.

I work today so I can't do a water change until tomorrow (will do a big one), anything I can or should do in the meantime?

Also, what are some reliable off the shelf two parts? I would like to have a couple options cause my LFS are very limited in what they carry.

Forgot to @Randy Holmes-Farley

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the RMM method and ignore the magnesium reading which is very like test error.

For now, I’d up the concentration of the kalk to saturation (2 tsp per gallon) and see what that does for alk. Calcium will not get too high.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use the RMM method and ignore the magnesium reading which is very like test error.

For now, I’d up the concentration of the kalk to saturation (2 tsp per gallon) and see what that does for alk. Calcium will not get too high.
OOOOOPPPPSSSS looks like I have been measuring my kalk WRONG!!! I been using a TEASPOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much kalk powder should I add given I am currently at 2 TEASPOONS per gallon. . .

I feel like a big dummy haha

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have to get to work so I upped the concentration in my ATO up to 1 TABLESPOON per gallon (about a 60% increase from what it was. . .

Sorry Randy for making this more complicated by using the wrong spoon!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get to work so I upped the concentration in my ATO up to 1 TABLESPOON per gallon (about a 60% increase from what it was. . .

Sorry Randy for making this more complicated by using the wrong spoon!

Saturation is about 2 teaspoons (tsp) per gallon. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back