Low alk test with All For Reef

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I've been using All For Reef exclusively now for about a month. When testing just recently I've found that my calcium is perfect at around 420 but my alk is testing at around 6dkh, which is very very low. How could it be that my tank is using more alk than calcium or how could my tests just not be reflecting the true amount of alk in the tank? Thanks!

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
I wouldn’t bother much with the calcium number.… the range in these tests kits are rather big. Next to that, staying between 400 and 490 is acceptable.

Just increase the dosage of AFR till you get slowly up to 7 dkh.
Be aware that AFR does not immediate increase Alk after dosing… increase the dosage a bit and check it the next day.
Repeat it till get to the desire level. Calcium, just monitor if you remain within the acceptable range.

From my side, took some time as well to adapt the dosage of the AFR in the tank.
Initially, I was dosing it combined with KH additive, due to similar concern as yours. After a month, I just stopped the KH additive, and I kept only AFR. Everything went fine…

Good luck!
Cheers

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points above from @PBar

How are you adding the AFR?

You can really get yourself turned around if you dose AFR to raise Alk and then test, expecting to see the change. I like to give 3 days after an adjustment before I make more adjustments.

But if you have AFR on a doser (going for a month), the above points are irrelevant. But still good to keep in mind.

Regarding the low Alk test result you got, my routine is to test again when I get an unexpected result. And check my testing methods, as well as the expiration date on the test kit.

Using AFR, you have to base your dosage off of something, and that might as well be your Alk. I would slowly work that up to your target number if you find that it's indeed low.

Were the Alk and Cal in balance when you started AFR? It does a pretty darn good job of keeping stuff balanced as you go.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now I'm dosing 15ml of AFR daily in my 29g. It is dosed throughout the day in 1.3ml incriminates 12 times a day. I don't really dose it and then test, I change my daily dose and give it a day or two and see where it brings me. I'm confused because my Calc is completely fine but my alk seems to only be getting lower. Thanks for the responses so far. @undermind @PBar

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now I'm dosing 15ml of AFR daily in my 29g. It is dosed throughout the day in 1.3ml incriminates 12 times a day. I don't really dose it and then test, I change my daily dose and give it a day or two and see where it brings me. I'm confused because my Calc is completely fine but my alk seems to only be getting lower. Thanks for the responses so far. @undermind @PBar
OK nice. That's a good way to go with the 12x doses daily.

Honestly, I would look at your test kits first. In the world of percentages, I'd think it would be more likely you're getting a bad test result than it would be that you're actually getting Alk consumption that's so imbalanced with Cal, or that AFR is adding them in an imbalanced way.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afr is designed to maintain and not raise unless you're increasing the dose weekly, so it may be just that you need more. But I agree, verify this is not testing error first. And can supplement alk with soda ash til you get to target then see if that afr dose keeps it there.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using AFR for a couple of years and have never had low alk w/it. I've never been particularly concerned about the calcium level on the tanks using AFR and have found it a reliable way to increase alk, often easier than other methods. I'd second the opinion that you verify your alk test kit. I'd make a sodium bicarbonate adjustment if the test kit is, indeed correct.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been using the salifert test kits for quite a while now and have always been able to keep things pretty accurate according to those. Im pretty sure its not the test kits, but there is always a chance I suppose.
So basically just keep increasing the AFR dose slowly and see if I can get it where it needs to be? Dont really go off of what calc is testing at and focus on alk? I read somewhere that testing calc is one of the more accurate ways to see if you have the right dose of AFR going because for some reason alk does not rest correctly sometimes. Maybe that is because alk does now show up immediately on test kits.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been using the salifert test kits for quite a while now and have always been able to keep things pretty accurate according to those. Im pretty sure its not the test kits, but there is always a chance I suppose.
So basically just keep increasing the AFR dose slowly and see if I can get it where it needs to be? Dont really go off of what calc is testing at and focus on alk? I read somewhere that testing calc is one of the more accurate ways to see if you have the right dose of AFR going because for some reason alk does not rest correctly sometimes. Maybe that is because alk does now show up immediately on test kits.
Considering that you've been dosing 12x daily for a month, you can pretty much toss out all of the concerns about how Alk takes a while to register. You will get reliable test results except for when you make adjustments in your dosage amounts. But you've already stated you are waiting to test after adjustments so I think you're good with your Alk testing procedures.

If it were me, I'd check the expiration date on the Salifert Alk test, then do one more test, then adjust JUST the Alk with soda ash (or similar) over a length of time (a few weeks or whatever you're comfortable with). I wouldn't make any changes to your AFR dosage until you hit your Alk target, then make adjustments to your AFR at that point and going forward based on Alk tests alone.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef does not take 3 days to adjust alk as other posters have mentioned. More like 20 minutes.

I would dose sodium bicarbonate to get your alk higher. Assuming your calcium test is accurate, you will end up with calcium around 475 to get your alk up to 8 if you use all for reef.

Add enough bicarbonate to increase alk 0.5 dkh per day and bump your all for reef dosing up enough to maintain alk.

Last edited:

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alk level does your salt mix at?
How much do you water change?
What is your daily alk consumption?
What's your salinity level?
Do you always test alk at the same time of the day?

You should probably establish a baseline of how much alk your tank actually consumes. Your alk level may be low, because you started out low. I wouldn't worry about calcium too much, it's probably in line with your alkalinity at any given time. Try testing alk at the same time and start with small doses of AFR to dial it in. I don't think AFR was meant to increase alk, rather to maintain a certain level.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef does not take 3 days to adjust alk as other posters have mentioned. More like 20 minutes
I don't think people have said it takes 3 days, but rather suggested waiting 3 days to test after adjustments to be safe.

And that 20 minutes isn't accurate according to me, all the reports on the AFR threads here, and Lou Ekus during the many appearances he's had in interviews rep'ing TM. I believe he said 5 or 6 hours. In my experience, waiting a few days after an adjustment reduces a lot of confusion and misleading yourself. And minimizes ongoing tweaking.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he said 5 or 6 hours.
I stand corrected there. Had it confused with kalk.

Regardless, the bulk of my post was to use bicarbonate (baking soda) not all for reef to adjust levels. You never use a balanced additive to fix the balance between alk and calcium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back