Low Magnesium

Kimberly01010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through the threads and know this is a common issue but I can't find an answer to my question. I've done multiple tests on my Mg levels and have been dosing and monitoring it for a little over a week; I've verified my results with my LFS and am using a Salifert test. I've been dosing slowly but I want to speed this up just a bit. My level on 4/17 was 990 ppm and I've dosed a total of 300mL and did a 5% water change since then. The water change seemed to have a negative impact on my Mg levels and today I'm at 975 ppm. I picked up some Red Sea Mg powder at the LFS and have mixed up another 250 mL. I've read that I can raise my ppm up to 100 ppm in a day but that will require just over 290 mL of the mixture. I'm a little concerned to put that much at once in my tank. My goal is to get to 1350 ppm and I have a few coral in the tank now.

OP
OP
Kimberly01010

Kimberly01010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm skeptical that this number is accurate.

Have you tried this kit on your new salt water?
Yes. It was in the 900 range also (I believe 940). I didn't trust the results either so I took it into my LFS for testing, retested same sample at home on 2 different test kits. All three came in around the same number. I would be happy if I got it in to the 1300 range. It doesn't have to be perfect but this is way too low. I set my tank up with the Coralife Salt Mix and that is what I used for the water change.

OP
OP
Kimberly01010

Kimberly01010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does the tank look?
For the most part it looks good. I was having issues with my monti cap but it has started to color up and is actually starting to grow. My duncan coral slowly faded away from a flourishing 2 heads plus growth. I took it back to my LFS to see if they could save it but it doesn't look good. It is actually the reason I started looking at Mg and Phosphate levels. All the other numbers are almost on par. Cal 549 (high but down from 564 on 4/19), Alk 8.0, salinity 1.025, phosphate .061 (higher than I want but down from .199), nitrate 5, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, ph 8.3.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back