Low pH

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a skimmerless setup. One thing I'm fighting is low pH. The tank is dosed 1.5 liters of kalk a day. Still, the pH hovers at 7.8 most of the time. Is this something I should raise? What are some good ways of raising it?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it 7.8 in my opinion is nothing to worry about! I also run a tank with no skimmer and just fine!

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check what you are using to take measurements with. It could be reading wrong.

Just recently, my probe was reading 7.7 to 7.8. I recalibrated it and now it reads 8.3 ish.

I haven't checked my probe with a test solution to see if the new calibration is right though so the old readings might be right.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my story:
Skimmer alone - ph 7.8
Skimmer w co2 scrubber - ph 7.85
Skimmer w co2 scrubber w recir - ph 7.9
Skimer with fresh air - 7.95

Recalibrate and woah nelly Im at 8.2
2 weeks later 7.9

Apex pH probe is trying to train me not to chase numbers. It a new feature really.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even though my window is open also running air in my skimmer my PH is 7.71 not sure if i should get Kalkwasser

If windows are open, more aeration will raise that pH to 8+, or it is not accurate.

My expectation is on test error.

This has more:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If windows are open, more aeration will raise that pH to 8+, or it is not accurate.

This has more:

pH And The Reef Aquarium

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

Not sure i was thinking buffer it

Screenshot_20201030-141655_APEX Fusion.jpg

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has more:

pH And The Reef Aquarium

The Aeration Test

Here is the report

Screenshot_20201030-142020_APEX Fusion.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back