Low watt UV?

Jdgreef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it frowned upon to use an underpowered UV? I have a 15watt aqua ultraviolet setup on total water volume of 93g- model says it’s rated to sterilize 75g- After head pressure it’s gotta be running in the 200-300 gph range. What would cause someone to choose higher wattage? It kills more faster? Is my 15 watt still effective just killing less things slower? Lol.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it frowned upon to use an underpowered UV? I have a 15watt aqua ultraviolet setup on total water volume of 93g- model says it’s rated to sterilize 75g- After head pressure it’s gotta be running in the 200-300 gph range. What would cause someone to choose higher wattage? It kills more faster? Is my 15 watt still effective just killing less things slower? Lol.
What do you hope to achieve with the UV sterilizer? It won't be effective for controlling parasites such as ich if it is underpowered and it won't keep up with the reproduction rate of algae or bacteria if the flow rate is insufficient.

OP
OP
Jdgreef24

Jdgreef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intended it to be part of the build from the start for the benefits it might have if it was there to begin with, but also was managing a budget and skimped on that and put it in filtration I could actually see. Now just because of good ol pesky cyano, I’m asking myself funny questions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back