LSOH not opening good

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So my LSOH was going great and all of a sudden the polyps were not opening fully, like half the polyp would open and the other half would stay rolled in. I’ve done a Revive dip so far and no change. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what do next. It’s been growing a new polyp about every week so I don’t know what could be causing this. This is the before and now pics. Thanks all.

IMG_4756.jpeg IMG_4796.jpeg

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you upload a better picture of the current state?

Could be a bacterial infection. Are the polyps covered by some brown-green layer?

This could also be due to toxins present in the water from some coral warfare. Are you running carbon?

Is salinity in check?

OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you upload a better picture of the current state?

Could be a bacterial infection. Are the polyps covered by some brown-green layer?

This could also be due to toxins present in the water from some coral warfare. Are you running carbon?

Is salinity in check?
Yes is does have a slight green brown layer that I am seeing around the polyps when they’re closed. I have not added carbon yet. And according to my Apex and my refractometer, my salinity is 1.0255.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always been super light sensitive it seems. I wanted to put them close to the glass so I could see them good but even on the bottom of my tank anywhere near the middle they get pale and some do the 1/2 open and 1/2 umbrella thing. I have to keep them almost shaded and they look happy. Started with one and they blew up to 50+ then cut the colony in half 6 months ago and they are back to a colony again. They did not grow for crap for about a year. Even in this picture the ones on top look worse then the ones on the bottom right side. Just really light sensitive. The Halls I got are the same way! All the cheep ones grow like weeds (rocks covered with utters and white zombies) in any light.

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1887.png
    IMG_1887.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also seen a resurgence of Zoa pox from some local guys and a couple people online. Check for the white spots when closed.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see some white spots in the stalks. How do you treat that?
Look on here there are some good options. That could be the issue. Of course Than has some trouble shooting tips ANd his camera work is amazing

OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did see some white spots in the stalks. How do you treat that?
Look on here there are some good options. That could be the issue. Of course Than has some trouble shooting tips ANd his camera work is amazing

I actually did a lugols dip today and they seem to be opening a bit a more now. I think I have some bad bacteria I’m DT because I’ve been havin some issues with some my high end Goni also. Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone can think of anything further please feel free to share.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did a lugols dip today and they seem to be opening a bit a more now. I think I have some bad bacteria I’m DT because I’ve been havin some issues with some my high end Goni also. Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone can think of anything further please feel free to share.
Do you test iodine/iodide? Do you run carbon? I only ask cause I always run carbon and once I started dosing iodide I noticed they are always nice and opened up and don’t do the weird shape/umbrella thing. Not only does iodide not last long in the tank but carbon is really good at stripping. Zoa love some iodide! I have also noticed a positive change when I dust the Zoa with roids once a week. They seem to enjoy it and I always get a positive feeding response. Recommend the Kent IODIDE supplement. Not iodine. I really wish my 120.00 for one polyp Hallucination would look better. Of course it looks bad I paid too much. It’s got another polyp poking out though so it’s not that unhappy it’s just not colorful. My other Zoa in the tank though! They are like weeds. Even surrounded a Sunkist and the poor shroom is doing everything it can to make it.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpeg
    IMG_1899.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1900.png
    IMG_1900.png
    957.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1907.png
    IMG_1907.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you test iodine/iodide? Do you run carbon? I only ask cause I always run carbon and once I started dosing iodide I noticed they are always nice and opened up and don’t do the weird shape/umbrella thing. Not only does iodide not last long in the tank but carbon is really good at stripping. Zoa love some iodide! I have also noticed a positive change when I dust the Zoa with roids once a week. They seem to enjoy it and I always get a positive feeding response. Recommend the Kent IODIDE supplement. Not iodine. I really wish my 120.00 for one polyp Hallucination would look better. Of course it looks bad I paid too much. It’s got another polyp poking out though so it’s not that unhappy it’s just not colorful. My other Zoa in the tank though! They are like weeds. Even surrounded a Sunkist and the poor shroom is doing everything it can to make it.
Yes, actually it’s funny you ask because I usually do my testing on Sundays so today I tested my iodine and I was down to .01 so it was definitely low. And I don’t run carbon because I found in past results that when I run carbon, it ticks my Goni off Because it strips a lot of the minor trace elements out of the water so the only time I put carbon in the sump is if it’s absolutely necessary. That’s a pretty nice looking collection also.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, actually it’s funny you ask because I usually do my testing on Sundays so today I tested my iodine and I was down to .01 so it was definitely low. And I don’t run carbon because I found in past results that when I run carbon, it ticks my Goni off Because it strips a lot of the minor trace elements out of the water so the only time I put carbon in the sump is if it’s absolutely necessary. That’s a pretty nice looking collection also.
Thanks for the compliment! Zoa and Goni’s DO look good together don’t they?

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the compliment! Zoa and Goni’s DO look good together don’t they?
Yes they do. Those are my addictions. I’m scared to add up everything I’ve spent on them. I’ve got 6 different glitter morphs, amazeballs, grand master Goni, and a ton more. Then the zoa just keep coming out with more amazing combos. Some pricey and some reasonable. I just love them.

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpeg
    IMG_4755.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4754.jpeg
    IMG_4754.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4730.jpeg
    IMG_4730.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4711.jpeg
    IMG_4711.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 26

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do. Those are my addictions. I’m scared to add up everything I’ve spent on them. I’ve got 6 different glitter morphs, amazeballs, grand master Goni, and a ton more. Then the zoa just keep coming out with more amazing combos. Some pricey and some reasonable. I just love them.
Man you got your Goni’s figured out! Best GB’s I have seen! I had a chance to get one super cheep right before they blew up in popularity. Now I got to wait for the bubble to pop again and they get back into my price range

OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Man you got your Goni’s figured out! Best GB’s I have seen! I had a chance to get one super cheep right before they blew up in popularity. Now I got to wait for the bubble to pop again and they get back into my price range
Ya it took me a while to really dial them in but honestly I keep my nitrates @ 15-20, Po4 @ .1 - .15, and I keep refugite in my sump for the manganese and iron and all the traces it keeps in the tank. They LOVE manganese. Makes them reach for the

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes is does have a slight green brown layer that I am seeing around the polyps when they’re closed. I have not added carbon yet. And according to my Apex and my refractometer, my salinity is 1.0255.
Can you post a picture of it just so we can be sure?
Against this kind of bacterial infection I like to do a ho2o dip. Works like a charm.

For how long do you have this frag in the same position? If they did well for sometime I doubt it’s due to high light intensity.

Could also be due to high flow but same goes for it, if you had them for sometime in the same position and they did well it’s probably not the case

Last edited:
OP
OP
InvictusReef

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you post a picture of it just so we can be sure?
Against this kind of bacterial infection I like to do a ho2o dip. Works like a charm.

For how long do you have this frag in the same position? If they did well for sometime I doubt it’s due to high light intensity.

Could also be due to high flow but same goes for it, if you had them for sometime in the same position and they did well it’s probably not the case
I will get a better picture tonight. They’ve been in the same spot since I got them and they were growing great. A polyp a week. How do you do the ho2o dip?

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a better picture tonight. They’ve been in the same spot since I got them and they were growing great. A polyp a week. How do you do the ho2o dip?

Sorry my bad. I meant h2o2

Mix h2o2 3% with water from the tank (can be fresh salwater just make sure it's the same temperature). Mix 100-150ml of h2o2 for every 0.5L of saltwater. Mix it, then dip the frag for exactly 5 minutes. You'll see some mbubbles building up on it, don't panic.
After 5 minutes rinse it again in saltwater just to “wash” the frag. Then put it back in the tank. The bacteria coat will vanish in few days.
Do this in a well-vented room or outside. I also wear a mask not to breathe anything, not sure if it's necessary tho.

This dip also kills algae and other inverts so get rid of poor bristle stars before you perform it.

Good luck. Hope this solves your issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back