Lucked into a 300 Gallon, Fish Suggestions?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah, I lucked into a 300 Gallon, but here's the Rub, I have no idea what the heck to put in there. I was building a stock list for a 210, but hadn't gotten very far. I appreciate suggestions.

Currently I have
Marine Betta
Maroon Clown
Greyfaced Moray Eel
Hippo Tang (arriving Friday)

I would prefer fewer larger fish to dozens of smaller ones, so I've been looking at things like Harlequin Tusks, Niger Trigger, Snowflake eel, porcupine puffer. Maybe trying to establish a harem of anthias or school of Chromis to swim around.

I won't be keeping any corals beyond GSP, just a bubbletip and maybe a carpet anenome. Already given up on having any significant CUC due to my fondness of eels and other predatory fish.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the queen angel is one of my favorites,also white tail bristoltooth tang ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
uni or vlamingii ,will go from 2" to 10" in 3 years ,would be rehoming ,and they have a dog like personality ,just a thought ;)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the Queen angel, and the blue throats. Unicorn and Vlamingiis are awesome, but I don't like the idea of rehoming fish later on.

Other fish I have had, and want again are Flame Hawks and Dwarf Lionfish. The Hawk probably being one of the smaller fish I'd consider.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Other angels, tangs such as vlamingi, unicorn, or dussomieri
Harlequin tusk, niger trigger and schoolers such as anthias should do well .

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blonde Naso, Achilles Tang(introduce last), Cuban Hogfish, Red Coris Wrasse, pair of Flamehawks, Potters Angel, Emperor Angel, Scribbled Angel. I'd skip the carpet anemone if I were you. Not worth the risk of it killing your fish.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like Flame Hawks. Had one, but it died from complications from a velvet infestation. Awesome little fish. I feel like they might almost disappear in a 300, despite their colour.

All great suggestions, was already looking at a blonde naso.

Tank is 80"x25.5"x30". Bit short for a such a large volume as I understand it. It was a custom build I am told.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like Flame Hawks. Had one, but it died from complications from a velvet infestation. Awesome little fish. I feel like they might almost disappear in a 300, despite their colour.

All great suggestions, was already looking at a blonde naso.

Tank is 80"x25.5"x30". Bit short for a such a large volume as I understand it. It was a custom build I am told.
I see my pair all the time. They constantly travel the tank. You'll see them. They don't hide like smaller fish tend to.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 80"x25.5"x30"

80 x 25.5 x 30 x 0.00434 gallons / cubic inch = 265 gallons

I would skip any of the Naso spp tangs, especially unicorns or N. vlamingii. Lots of good options and suggestions so far though. I'm a little jealous.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1 Marine Betta

x1 Maroon Clown (will you try pairing it again?)

x1 Grey Faced Moray

x1 Blue Hippo Tang

x2 Bluethroat Triggerfish

x1 some kind of Rabbitfish

x2 Spot Breast / Bellus / Watanabei’s Angelfish

x2 Heniochus Black and White Butterflyfish

x1 Flame Hawkfish

x1 Long Nose Hawkfish

And a couple of Anthias (Lyretail, Barlett’s etc.)- maybe 4?

And a couple of Chromis, say 6-7.

Feel free to critique.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 x 25.5 x 30 x 0.00434 gallons / cubic inch = 265 gallons

I would skip any of the Naso spp tangs, especially unicorns or N. vlamingii. Lots of good options and suggestions so far though. I'm a little jealous.

You are indeed correct, hadn't thought to verify the volume with dimensions. Guy must be including the sump in the total volume. Either way, bigger than what I was going to get as a fraction of the cost.

Agreed, I was thinking a potential 18" active fish probably needs closer to 8' of length or more. Am definitely liking some of the larger angels, big, bright, beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my pair all the time. They constantly travel the tank. You'll see them. They don't hide like smaller fish tend to.

Then they are on my list again. I might be thinking because I only had a smaller one in a 55, two adults, would be a good splash of colour.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some awesome suggestions everyone, thank you. Definitely have myself a ton of reading to do to see what can coexist with what, as I am certain there will be conflicts, but I am really liking
Emperor Angel, Queen Angel, Red Coris Wrasse, Niger trigger, blue throat trigger, snowflake eel, Harlequin Tusk, Flame Hawkfish, pairing my Maroon and Marine Betta, Spanish or Cuban hogfish.

Love any and all fairy and flasher wrasses, but am wary of putting a max 4" fish in a tank with a bunch of predators.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some awesome suggestions everyone, thank you. Definitely have myself a ton of reading to do to see what can coexist with what, as I am certain there will be conflicts, but I am really liking
Emperor Angel, Queen Angel, Red Coris Wrasse, Niger trigger, blue throat trigger, snowflake eel, Harlequin Tusk, Flame Hawkfish, pairing my Maroon and Marine Betta, Spanish or Cuban hogfish.

Love any and all fairy and flasher wrasses, but am wary of putting a max 4" fish in a tank with a bunch of predators.

I would avoid the queen angel. The Holacanthus angels are huge and aggressive.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was checking kijiji for a used 20gal long tank to setup as a QT, and there was an ad ,moving sale, for a 300gal, plus an assortment of equipment including multiple powerheads, skimmer, and 250w metal halide lights, for $700. Checked it out, everything looks in great shape. And yeah, sure, the measurements say it's actually 265, not 300, but that's still 55 more than what I was planning on having.

I say lucked into one because my lfs sells reef ready 210s for $1800.

And yes, I do love me some lyretails.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8DD37537-F819-4305-8A04-1D344C49136A.jpeg
Lots of good suggestions have been given, but here are my top picks— Harlequin Tusk, Purple Tang, Emperor Angel, and Clown Trigger. ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back