Magnesium has a constant low reading of 1200 (both instant ocean and red sea) - help!

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked, on Red Seas website you can check your spacific batch for the ICP test results to see what they tested that batch at. I checked my bag, but it’s older than what they have available. The batch number is on the bottom of your bucket. Enter the info here https://g1.redseafish.com/mybatch/
See if they have your buckets info.
Thanks for sharing. Will check it out and get back to you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after was that, I’d say mine was fully mixed for at least 16 hours or so before I took the test…and since you mentioned it I decided to do a quick search for dissolve rates. Magnesium is extremely soluble and dissolves much quicker and easier than calcium.. sooooo. I am extremely interested to see or hear how this concludes.

Where did you find such data and what form of calcium did you look for? I agree that the forms of magnesium used dissolve rapidly, but I cannot imagine it takes 16 hours of stirring to dissolve calcium chloride dihydrate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, interesting. This was after I think 2 hours total of mixing. This gets even more confusing now… I’m almost tempted to retry this again and see if the results come out the same again

Unless you see substantial undissolved solids at the bottom, it's not impacting your parameters.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find such data and what form of calcium did you look for? I agree that the forms of magnesium used dissolve rapidly, but I cannot imagine it takes 16 hours of stirring to dissolve calcium chloride dihydrate.
Oh No that’s not at all what I meant if that’s how it was interpreted. The OP stated that perhaps the test was taken too quickly and the elements didn’t fully dissolve, giving the low result. That’s when I mentioned I took
My test at least 16 hours after I mixed that batch of water, and that because the dissolve rate was mentioned, I just did a quick google search to see. And said what I found in the quick search was that Mag is very soluble and dissolves much quicker than Cal in general… I was just debunking that as a theory quick and easy…. Sorry for the confusion.
On another note tho… I’m waiting to see if somebody has a batch of Red Sea salt that actually has the ICP results recorded. You can enter the batch number from your bag or bucket on Red Seas website and they email you the ICP findings… when I did this it said the batch I had was older then the time they started making this info public and obtainable. But surely somebody has a batch that will provide the test results…. If I submitted my bags batch number and the email back stated that mag tested at 1200, this whole convo to me would be squished…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh No that’s not at all what I meant if that’s how it was interpreted. The OP stated that perhaps the test was taken too quickly and the elements didn’t fully dissolve, giving the low result. That’s when I mentioned I took
My test at least 16 hours after I mixed that batch of water, and that because the dissolve rate was mentioned, I just did a quick google search to see. And said what I found in the quick search was that Mag is very soluble and dissolves much quicker than Cal in general… I was just debunking that as a theory quick and easy…. Sorry for the confusion.
On another note tho… I’m waiting to see if somebody has a batch of Red Sea salt that actually has the ICP results recorded. You can enter the batch number from your bag or bucket on Red Seas website and they email you the ICP findings… when I did this it said the batch I had was older then the time they started making this info public and obtainable. But surely somebody has a batch that will provide the test results…. If I submitted my bags batch number and the email back stated that mag tested at 1200, this whole convo to me would be squished…

OK, because I believe that calcium chloride dihydrate also dissolves very readily. When dissolving a salt mix, I think some of the other components are slower, such as sodium chloride.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve entered mine through the website. Been waiting for an e-mail but haven’t received one yet. This is my batch nr for reference in case anyone stumbles across this post with similar findings and perhaps identical batch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 10

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back