Magnificent Foxface stressed since he moved in

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a new Magnificent Foxface in our dt for almost a week now, and he showed up with splotchy color patches all over him, and did some research and learned they will change colors when stressed. Tuesday will be 1 week since he’s been in, and he still gets stressed almost every time my wife or i get near the tank, and is still eating very sporadically (have tried multiple diff frozen foods, pellets as well as nori). Is this something i should expect for a bit until he gets comfortable, or should i be worried? Tank is 100 gallons with 2 black clowns, a yellow wrasse and lyretail anthias so minimal if any aggression and plenty of caves and hiding spots, thanks!
C63B3415-48D5-446D-A49F-DB81B810679B.jpeg
4592825A-D920-4C8F-A9D9-A74B597A4376.jpeg

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnificent foxface as well. Awesome fish. I have had mine for a little over a year now. The turn camo color to try and hide or at night when the sleep. Also mine is very timid. I can put food in and until I step away from the tank hes always nervous. I think its probably just the fishes personality. Keep it well fed and you should be fin. Try soaking some nori in garlic gaurd also to entice him to eat nori.

OP
OP
kwall737

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnificent foxface as well. Awesome fish. I have had mine for a little over a year now. The turn camo color to try and hide or at night when the sleep. Also mine is very timid. I can put food in and until I step away from the tank hes always nervous. I think its probably just the fishes personality. Keep it well fed and you should be fin. Try soaking some nori in garlic gaurd also to entice him to eat nori.
Thanks for the info! Was hoping this was for the most part ‘normal‘ behavior and that there was something else wrong with him

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine a couple of years now and have a mainly sunlit tank. The biggest thing I've noticed is that as soon as the sun comes up it shows its daytime colouring but when it's sunset and my actinic lights come on, it quickly switches to nightime camo. If it's staying like that after a few weeks you might have to much blue going on and it feels like perpetual twilight to it (going by your first pictures).

I think it's just still adjusting and I wouldn't worry. Ime they become very tame in time and will happily feed from your fingers.

M

member 99594

View Badges
+1 nervous wreck of a fish!!

great one though. I have one in mine for about a year. At about six months he started to come to the turkey baster for food. He always has ate nori (grocery store) off the clip. 1/4 of a sheet a day.

most of the fish eat from it. Cleaner wrasse, blenny, tang and him.

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post is perfectly timed. I just got a Fox face lo 10 days ago, and from the minute I opened the bag he has been scared. I thought there was something wrong with ours. Good to know they are just skittish

OP
OP
kwall737

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post is perfectly timed. I just got a Fox face lo 10 days ago, and from the minute I opened the bag he has been scared. I thought there was something wrong with ours. Good to know they are just skittish
Absolutely! Was wondering the same thing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very normal. Took one i had 2 months to stop being a fraidy-cat.
They take the food and back to shy and spooked

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back