Maintenance for 20G vs. 40G

Joseph93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if anyone could share their insight about the maintenance involved in a 20G vs 40G? I'm looking to start up a softie LPS tank with some fish. I used to have a 10G with a pair of clowns, but I've been out of this hobby for a few years. I ordered a IM 20G online, but I saw the 40G IM in store today and it didn't seem as big as I originally imagine, but it was beside a Red Sea 450. It would also be nice to have more options for fish, but maintaining 40G seems daunting to me. I'm also in a condo, so I value any extra space I have. Is a 40G that much more work in maintenance or expensive than a 20G? I know its easier for beginners to start bigger, but I'm more concerned about how much maintenance is involved.

My planned stocking list for the Stocking list for 20G:
* Clownfish pair
* Tanaka or pink streaked wrasse
* Yasha and shrimp pair
* Rainford goby

I would likely just want to add 2-3 fish to this list.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there would be much more maintenance involved, except for water changes. Obviously more water to carry in buckets and take out of the tank.

As far as costs, 40 gallons is still a small enough tank that most products would last a long time. Salt would be double the cost, but still would last a long time.

More room for fish and corals, so more money to spend on that.

It's really up to you.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you would regret getting the 20g after having considered the 40g, I don’t see a scenario where you would wish you had the 20g instead of the 40g…same skimmer, same return, same powerheads to clean, a little more glass to clean on the 40g which is hardly an extra 30seconds more work.

OP
OP
J

Joseph93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So probably against my better judgment, I went for the 40G. It seems a lot less intimidating after I set it up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back