Major par loss mounting G3 pros 20" above water line?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to mount my g3 pros 20" above water line. This will allow me to build a wall mount canopy that will allow me to recess my g3 pros enough to kill light spillage into the room. The elevated canopy will still allow me to have all the perks of a rimless tank for top down viewing and ease of feeding/maintenance.

4 but if need be 5 - g3 pro over a 72" long tank. 24" deep. I plan for the top 1/3 of the tank to be open water for fish to swim and for strong indirect flow for my sps plans. The canopy will be about 8 inches deep with the radions at the top (open top). It will also contain the power supplies so I have no cords between tank and canopy for a clean look.

I have no problem maxing the radions out if need be. Anyone have a sps dominant reef while mounting radions at a similar height?

Thanks

Matt

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do NOT advocate trying to replicate what a retail store does, but World Wide has Gen 4s up about that high with 100% on all channels - they use T5s too. Sanjay Joshi is a hobbyist that does the same thing also with 100% on all channels.

I do not use any Radions personally, but wanted to chime in so that you could look these up...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the radions you can test the intensity dry with a lux meter or par meter. (Use your preferred colors) the loss in water is minimal.

Also compare it to the specs on the site.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do NOT advocate trying to replicate what a retail store does, but World Wide has Gen 4s up about that high with 100% on all channels - they use T5s too. Sanjay Joshi is a hobbyist that does the same thing also with 100% on all channels.

I do not use any Radions personally, but wanted to chime in so that you could look these up...
Good to know. I know that vivid runs AB+ 100% with both g4 and g3 on their display and frag tank. Killer sps and colors are amazing. I just can't recall how high they were off the water line.

If you have the radions you can test the intensity dry with a lux meter or par meter. (Use your preferred colors) the loss in water is minimal.

Also compare it to the specs on the site.

I've been meaning to get a par meter for a while now. Might be a good excuse to pull the trigger. I'm only using 2 of the 4 radions on my frag tank now so I could definitely try that out. I just need the equipment.

Good to know some retailers and hobbiests have success with them higher up.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://reefs.com/2017/01/18/ecotech-marine-radion-gen-4-xr30w-pro-definitive-review/

That shows about 300-400PAR in a 24x24-ish area. About what youwould have at your water line..
1/2 of that at the sand bed.. This is for 30's 15's would be about 1/2 that..

Assuming about 40" from diodes to sand bed..

which lenses btw.. 80 or 120 degree?
Thanks for the link and info oreo5457.
All mine are the wide angle pro model I believe that is the 120 degree optics.

That's under 1 Light. I'll need to play with distance between lights to see how the intensities change. That should help me decide whether I'll need a 5th.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be cheaper off switching optics than adding a 5th light..

simple math and physics have point light source lensed at 120 degrees creating a light cone at 20" of about 69" diameter..
so keep that in mind
At 90 it's 40"..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back