Mantis and clams ?

Arsoncop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first mantis shrimp. Can I give it freshwater clams now and then as a treat? They are cheaper and more plentiful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have my first mantis shrimp. Can I give it freshwater clams now and then as a treat? They are cheaper and more plentiful.
Yes you can. Rinse/agitate them first in tank water to remove any possible impurities. You can do the same with ram shrimp and even a crab claw. Be sure to remove shell scraps

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater; no

The difference animo acid chemistry over time won’t be good for them.

Stick to saltwater feeders or frozen. There’s “little neck” clams that are visually the same as freshwater clams that come from the Florida gulf, you can buy those frozen or alive.

I buy mine frozen locally, I primarily feed krill but it gives them something to hit once in awhile.
IMG_0111.jpeg

You can also get them from the deli but I feel safer using this brand for years, my box crab lives exclusively on them.

My other food source is looking for sick or dead livestock in the LFS and asking for them at a massive discount, they’re likely going to waste anyways and is a good way to make them not a total loss for the LFS. You can even freeze some of them yourself.

I also never remove the shells of the clams, they make perfect building material for their burrows, it’s like free rubble.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back