Mantis not moving

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this mantis from a friend 2 days ago because his brother didn't want to take care of it anymore. It seemed totally fine when I took this picture around 3, then at 3:30 it was kind of on its back propped up on its tail (it did this while in the bucket we used to transport it to my house) and then at about 4 it was doing this and has remained completely still. It never climbed inside of it's PVC hide, it just got in between the pipe and the glass where you see and stayed there since I put it in. This is the same tank, hide, sand, rock, filters and everything it was in previously. I got the whole set up and all we did was drain the water, move it, and put the water back in. Is this just a stress thing they do or is it likely dead? I've never had one before and wanted to make sure it was taken care of but I don't know where I could have gone wrong. Sorry I couldn't take a better pic, my phone doesn't do low light so well

IMG_20221031_224135100.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look good, sorry! Couple guesses; Crustaceans can have problems molting so If it hasn't molted in a while the stress and/or water conditions may have caused a failed molt. It also may have been a spike in nutrients released during the move if the system has been neglected for awhile.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look good, sorry! Couple guesses; Crustaceans can have problems molting so If it hasn't molted in a while the stress and/or water conditions may have caused a failed molt. It also may have been a spike in nutrients released during the move if the system has been neglected for awhile.
Yep, both of those are possible because it has definitely been neglected for a while

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back