Marco Rock… the most difficult dry rock ever?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread to hear feedback and also gather some information on Marco Dry Rock.

I’ve used it several times and it looks amazing and aquascapes great. However, the rock takes a long time to establish and everybody seems to have issues with it. Over the last several years I’ve noticed more issues with dry Marco Rock that most other dry rocks on the market. I think it has something to do with it being quarried Limestone.

My current system has cured Marco Dry Rock that has been cured for 1 year, but it’s honestly not going as well as I though it would. It’s definitely going better than normal, but not what you would think for that length of cure time.

Let me know your thoughts, share your pictures, and any issues you’ve had with this rock.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Using some shelf rock mixed with live in a new build. Usually only use live rock so we'll see
The LR will definitely help it along, but even with the LR & DR mix…people still having major issues.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh

I don't think the rock is the issue. This kind of rock was what we'd restock the coral system with whenever we sold live rock at the lfs I was at. It always went through the same stages of colors, even in the smaller display tanks setup.
Thx for your input. :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Fairbanksreefer

Is it phosphates that’s bothering you? From what I’ve read, no rock has more phosphates than pukani.

If you cured for 1 year in the dark with no water changes at all, phosphates would stay bound to the calcium carbonate and will not leave unless the concentration in the surrounding water drops.

If you have algae, lower lights and increase herbivores. Algae needs to be limited by something (light, phosphates, nitrates, trace elements, space, or herbivores).

I do not personally believe curing in dark has any substantial benefit in preventing algae. BRS also had established rock curing for 1+ years in the dark that all developed a large algae bloom when exposed to lights for the first time.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my system with Marco about 6 months ago. What problems are you having or seeing?
I’m not having much problem other than bacterial blooms coming and going. Nutrients keep bottoming out regardless of dosing quite a lot of N&P back to the system.

Although typically at 3 months with Marco Rock my PO4 is much higher. Usually about 0.6-0.8 around this time. So the 1 yr cure did help a lot.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Fairbanksreefer

Is it phosphates that’s bothering you? From what I’ve read, no rock has more phosphates than pukani.

If you cured for 1 year in the dark with no water changes at all, phosphates would stay bound to the calcium carbonate and will not leave unless the concentration in the surrounding water drops.

If you have algae, lower lights and increase herbivores. Algae needs to be limited by something (light, phosphates, nitrates, trace elements, space, or herbivores).

I do not personally believe curing in dark has any substantial benefit in preventing algae. BRS also had established rock curing for 1+ years in the dark that all developed a large algae bloom when exposed to lights for the first time.
I did cure in the dark. I don’t have any issues with elevated phosphate. Not a speck of algae in the system. Never had an ugly phase other than the rocks turning a little brown, but that’s normal for any new system. :)

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I don’t cure the rocks, I typically have this mud like crud that it’s constantly building up in the sump, overflow, etc. for like the 1st 4-6 months.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it takes a while to establish that means it holds a lot of surface area, no? Seems to make it easier rock rather than hard so long as you're patient.
Patient is definitely the Key Word with Marco. You’ll have a long hard road ahead especially if you didn’t cure.

Although Pukani was loaded with PO4 if you cured that rock it was amazing. Natural rock pulled from the ocean always seems to do much better. Too bad we can’t get this anymore.

EB2F501F-FDCD-4493-A81D-A651B1DC22EC.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread to hear feedback and also gather some information on Marco Dry Rock.

I’ve used it several times and it looks amazing and aquascapes great. However, the rock takes a long time to establish and everybody seems to have issues with it. Over the last several years I’ve noticed more issues with dry Marco Rock that most other dry rocks on the market. I think it has something to do with it being quarried Limestone.

My current system has cured Marco Dry Rock that has been cured for 1 year, but it’s honestly not going as well as I though it would. It’s definitely going better than normal, but not what you would think for that length of cure time.

Let me know your thoughts, share your pictures, and any issues you’ve had with this rock.
Never had a problem with it.

Life rock looks better to start, but once Marco is a year or so old it looks better and more natural.
IMG_2896.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with it.

Life rock looks better to start, but once Marco is a year or so old it looks better and more natural.
IMG_2896.jpeg
Glad to hear that. One of the reasons why mine will take longer this time is because I don’t add any frag plugs anymore. I cut the bases off all Acro’s going in. So other than what I personally add, there will not be much diversity.

With that said, I’ve added multiple bacteria species from the beginning, live sand, live mud, tiny speck of coralline (not sure it made it) and 8 corals now. Was looking for some small natural rocks (without holes) at the beach the other day that I can dip with Potassium Chloride or something and maybe add to the system.

6F3AD274-122D-4DE6-834D-8226BF9F719E.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding this would give you a run for your money. :oops: Can you imagine the months this would leach if not cured.

7E89E662-42A5-4233-8869-5F5861564D6C.jpeg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is dry rock - calcium carbonate mined from the earth. Gonna be the same dry rock effects regardless of branding...

Back when I was building structures with dry rock (I use synthetic 'Tropic Eden' now) id coat it with a thin layer of purple Emarco-400 pink (purple) to give it a more CCA look until CCA takes to it naturally...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is dry rock - calcium carbonate mined from the earth. Gonna be the same dry rock effects regardless of branding...

Back when I was building structures with dry rock (I use synthetic 'Tropic Eden' now) id coat it with a thin layer of purple Emarco-400 pink (purple) to give it a more CCA look until CCA takes to it naturally...
Not all dry rock is created equally though. Quarried Limestone is much different than rock taken out of the ocean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back