Marine Velvet ? Looking for advice please.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so recently my tank had an outbreak of marine velvet. I bought a couple of qt tanks and put my tangs in one and the rest in another and treating them with a copper solution. My question is.... what do i do with my DT??? Do i just let it run its "marine velvet" cycle and die off or is there another solution to kill the velvet thats in the DT. i understand that is cycle is about 6 weeks, and with there being no fish "host" for it to live that it would die off. Correct me if i am wrong please. Just looking for some advice as this sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your on the right track.
Copper treatment for MV will last 4 weeks
You need to leave the tank fallow without any new additions for 8 weeks. Then you can put everyone back.

OP
OP
cginter

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding. One more Question i have, is i have two wrasses that are still in the DT but sleep and hide in the sand. Both show no symptoms as of yet. Should i remove them also, and if so, should i remove some sand from the DT and place it in a container for them to hide, sleep in?

Thanks again for the advice.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you need to remove all fish from the DT, especially if its MV. If they get it, they cn die within 48 hours. I'd just use pvc pipe in the QT for them, nothing from the tank.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fish tank must be free of all fish. and need to be treated, I have a red coris wrasse without sand and it's doing fine

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your on the right track.
Copper treatment for MV will last 4 weeks
You need to leave the tank fallow without any new additions for 8 weeks. Then you can put everyone back.

I had a MV velvet issue that wiped out one of my tanks (I didnt have a quarantine my fault). I just left it running for a few months and everything is good in there now. Hopefully all goes well with your treatment but leave the DT without fish for 8 weeks. I did the extra month just to be sure. It was rough loosing 5 fish in about a day and a half and I really don't feel like loosing any more.

OP
OP
cginter

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i believe the MV got introduced when I added my last fish. "flame angel" then about a month later i noticed some of my other fish hiding out and not swimming around, and then when the white lights went out, i could see it all!!!! All over my tangs, and angels. Although they were all eating fine and water was and still is in great condition, i left them in the DT while i had to leave for a week. I came back and seen that it just got worse, so thats when i went and bought the qt tanks. Lost a yellow eye kole tang and my regal unfortunately.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back