Marine Velvet

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have marine velvet and currently I have lost 4 fish :( 1 every day but now I bought a 15 gallons tank for in order to do a hospital tank. I pulled my fish out and left the invertebrates and 3 cromies in my main tank. I have understand that I need to pull the 3 cromies out but those little suckers are fast and hard to catch so will try again tomorrow. I also bought copper power and a api test kit. I added 24 ML of the copper and to me it is reading between .50 to 1.0 in the aip test kit. Did I do something wrong? Would I need to add more copper tomorrow? I am so lost and scared I might over dose this and instead of helping my fish have a fighting chance I will kill them from over dosing. I also added turbo start and temperature is set to 80 degrees

Attachments

• 20240121_224325.mp4
    5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have marine velvet and currently I have lost 4 fish :( 1 every day but now I bought a 15 gallons tank for in order to do a hospital tank. I pulled my fish out and left the invertebrates and 3 cromies in my main tank. I have understand that I need to pull the 3 cromies out but those little suckers are fast and hard to catch so will try again tomorrow. I also bought copper power and a api test kit. I added 24 ML of the copper and to me it is reading between .50 to 1.0 in the aip test kit. Did I do something wrong? Would I need to add more copper tomorrow? I am so lost and scared I might over dose this and instead of helping my fish have a fighting chance I will kill them from over dosing. I also added turbo start and temperature is set to 80 degrees

API test kits are difficult to read properly, but this one seems really off. Assuming your 15 gallon tank holds 14 gallons of water, the full dose of copper power for 2.5 ppm should have been only 20.6 ml. Something is wrong either with your measurement of the medication or the test kit. If you don't have access to a high range Hanna meter, I would say to forget the API kit and try to manage the copper level manually - assume what you've added is a full dose. Then, if you have to do water changes, dose the replacement water to its exact volume before returning it to the tank.

Just one bit of information - once you've begun losing fish to a protozoan disease (ich or velvet) it is very difficult to stop the infection in time to keep from losing more fish. And you are correct, you will need to treat the chromis as well.

How many fish are in the 15 gallon? You may have issues managing the ammonia in that tank.

Jay

OP
OP
F

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are difficult to read properly, but this one seems really off. Assuming your 15 gallon tank holds 14 gallons of water, the full dose of copper power for 2.5 ppm should have been only 20.6 ml. Something is wrong either with your measurement of the medication or the test kit. If you don't have access to a high range Hanna meter, I would say to forget the API kit and try to manage the copper level manually - assume what you've added is a full dose. Then, if you have to do water changes, dose the replacement water to its exact volume before returning it to the tank.

Just one bit of information - once you've begun losing fish to a protozoan disease (ich or velvet) it is very difficult to stop the infection in time to keep from losing more fish. And you are correct, you will need to treat the chromis as well.

How many fish are in the 15 gallon? You may have issues managing the ammonia in that tank.

Jay
Thanks. In the 15 gallons I have 6 fish not including the other in the main tank. I added turbo start 900 before copper and some bio cubes. But I do have a amonia checker also that will show amonia. I agree the amonia levels will be a pain to maintain and will.need to be doing lots of water changes. Woke up and lost my blonde naso this morning :( so far lost my white tail tang, wheeler goby, royal gramma, green mandarin, flamen scooter, one of my clown looks not good, and now my blonde naso :(

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. In the 15 gallons I have 6 fish not including the other in the main tank. I added turbo start 900 before copper and some bio cubes. But I do have a amonia checker also that will show amonia. I agree the amonia levels will be a pain to maintain and will.need to be doing lots of water changes. Woke up and lost my blonde naso this morning :( so far lost my white tail tang, wheeler goby, royal gramma, green mandarin, flamen scooter, one of my clown looks not good, and now my blonde naso :(
Question - what are the 6 fish that are left, and how big is your display?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a scopas tang, long nose hawk, coral beauty,Fox face. 125 gallons
You may have some difficulty treating so many fish in a 15 gallon tank - unless they are small versions. And btw you will also need to treat the Chromis - and your fallow period starts when the last fish is taken out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back