Maroon clown pairing with nearly naked clown?

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a juvenile nearly naked clown in my 20G tank. Recently I took down a 75G tank, and moved the only inhabitant: a large Maroon clown to my 20G.
nearly naked clown: 1.5"
Maroon clown: 4"

At first I put the Maroon in an acclimation box in the 20G until I can give it to my LFS. as I was sure it would attack the smaller naked clown. However, one day when I was feeding them the maroon jumped out from top of the acclimation box and into the main tank. The 2 clowns seem to like each other immediately. Shortly after they were swimming together.

In the following days I even saw them doing the domination dance. It's been 2 weeks since they were together and no aggression from the maroon. Does this mean they could end up a pair?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the "nearly naked" clown is a color variant of Maroon Clowns (I can't keep up anymore), then the two fish are the perfect sizes for introduction.

If the NN is a designer Occelaris, the Maroon Clown will almost certainly kill it in a 20 gallon tank..

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the "nearly naked" clown is a color variant of Maroon Clowns (I can't keep up anymore), then the two fish are the perfect sizes for introduction.

If the NN is a designer Occelaris, the Maroon Clown will almost certainly kill it in a 20 gallon tank..
Yes the "nearly Naked" is the dark("Darwin" )variety.
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 1.08.15 PM.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term a 20g might not be best for the maroon. I would just keep a close watch on them. Fighting will most likely happen when you're not around. Watch for any signs like nipped fins or reduced appetite

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one of them out asap and trade it off or sell. A 4.5" Maroon Clown is capable of killing a 2" fish in minutes. I had one kill a pretty good sized 6 line wrasse and shove it into it's anemone in the time it took me to grab a net in the next room.

There is the off chance that it works out. Stranger things have happened, but don't count on getting enough advance warning to rescue the Occelaris if it goes bad....

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if it's possible, mother nature could find a way if she felt inclined. Pretty neat situation you have, keep us posted.

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon's generally don't like each other but other varieties of clowns they get along with... is your nearly naked the dark coloration or the orange coloration?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightning maroon, and some type of fancy osc. (all black with white stripes, forget the name now).

The fancy osc mate jumped so I thought lets get another. knowing full well they would probably never pair up, but they should get along ok. Bought a tiny little lighting maroon as my osc was most definitely a very dominant female. They got along fine for many months. As soon as the maroon got to a more dominant size, the honeymoon was over.

Well they get along OK, as long as they stay away from each other, and now that the maroon is of adult size, it actually goes after the much larger and dominant osc. during feeding time. The osc can defend it's self for now, but I fully expect the maroon to kill her off eventually.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back