Mary Bergeron Elementary School 125 Gallon Mixed Reef Build

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the previous 2 years my son's school has a 6 Gallon Cubic 20 jellyfish Tank, and all the kids in the school loved it. The jellyfish tank was managed by myself (Parent Volunteer) and paid for out of the schools science budget as they really didn't do any thing fun for the kids with it. After 2 years the school was slated to be torn down and a new school built beside it merging my son's school and another in the town we live in, putting 450+ students under the roof of the new school. While it was being built my oldest son (9years at the time) had his birthday party. All the kids that were over kept asking me questions about what was in my tank (corals and fish), such as what kind of plants (ie corals) I had growing in the tanks and the normal questions kids ask about fish (what kind of nemo's are those). Later that night I thought why not put together a mixed reef tank for the new school, and the kids could learn about how reefs protect shorelines from erosion and are a place for young fish to growup. The Principal of the new school loved the idea and wrote up a donation letter for me to take around to local businesses in town to ask for donations for our new (Life Sciences Program). After 3 months of gathering donations some local and some from compays that make some of the dry goods we would need. I ordered the tank (125 Gallon) from a LFS 2hrs away in the nearest city that carried supplies. I was told 6-8 weeks before the tank would be done being built. After the 8 week point I phoned the shop up and asked about the tank, they told me that it still wasent done and they didn't know when. I told them that they assured me that if it was going to go over the time frame they should let me know as the school year is only so long and I needed time to plumb it and anything else that might comeup. To make a long story short they managed to get it built after 11 weeks with some proding from me. I borrowed and enclosed cargo trailer from a local business and drove the 2hrs, two days later and picked up the tank and with help from various people moved it into the school.

OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cycling the tank (3 weeks) and getting a local cabinet maker to make a locking canopy and locks on the stand to keep little hands out it was finished and ready for life to be put into it.
The 2 LED lights donated by Mike Judd of the FarmBoy Reef Club

OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the bomb was dropped and I was told I had to move the tank after 2.5 months of being in place to a temporary home in the school kitchen for the summer while the Contractors fixed and finished things in the school, such as the floors the tank was sitting on. So I tore down and moved (6.5hrs to do it) the tank into the kitchen for the summer. I had the Apex to help keep an eye on it, the Apex feeder to help with feeding. I popped in over the summer (contractors let me in) and did what I needed on the tank. I also hooked up the tanks RODI system to the auto topoff freshwater tank. After the summer was over the Principal informed me that the floors in the school still were not good (colour came off when they were cleaned), so I moved the tank (4hrs this time) into the Library, were it will stay and no longer get moved again.
Map of the world showing the kids were each fish comes from and various information talking about different types of reefs and their importance.
The 32 gallon brute garbage can with the Neptune PMUP for when there is a couple week break or summer vacation

OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the bomb was dropped and I was told I had to move the tank after 2.5 months of being in place to a temporary home in the school kitchen for the summer while the Contractors fixed and finished things in the school, such as the floors the tank was sitting on. So I tore down and moved (6.5hrs to do it) the tank into the kitchen for the summer. I had the Apex to help keep an eye on it, the Apex feeder to help with feeding. I popped in over the summer (contractors let me in) and did what I needed on the tank. I also hooked up the tanks RODI system to the auto topoff freshwater tank. After the summer was over the Principal informed me that the floors in the school still were not good (colour came off when they were cleaned), so I moved the tank (4hrs this time) into the Library, were it will stay and no longer get moved again.
Map of the world showing the kids were each fish comes from and various information talking about different types of reefs and their importance.
The 32 gallon brute garbage can with the Neptune PMUP for when there is a couple week break or summer vacation

If there are any questions about this build please let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great! What a wonderful idea. The kids are very lucky for what you have introduced them too.
Thank You very much NY_Caveman I just hope that I can keep enough donations coming in to keep it going, the biggest things that cost us are salt and RO filters.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be great for the kids to look at and be involved with

And thanks for sharing all the pictures and details with us in the write up

We like pictures on here you know! Lol

And welcome to R2R as well by the way!

OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be great for the kids to look at and be involved with

And thanks for sharing all the pictures and details with us in the write up

We like pictures on here you know! Lol

And welcome to R2R as well by the way!
Thank You loved putting this tank together for the kids, as they are the future of this hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back