OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Fritz blue box. My LFS recommended it when I got back into the hobby and have been using it ever since. Mixes quick and clean. I have been out of the maintenance routine for several months while my shoulder recovers so honestly can’t remember what it reads out of the box, but I think 8-9ish.
Thanks for the recommendation! You’re spot on, it’s 8-9dkh at 35ppt after looking at their site. I will probably go with that.

Speaking of pods! I’m going to place an order with you soon to seed my tank.

Fritz RPM Blue is what I use as well. There is a production code on each box that you can verify the batch details. The other salt close to this is Aqua Forest Reef Salt mix. I can get Fritz locally at $60 for 200g so sticking with it!
Thank you! That’s a hard price to beat tbh.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a QOL update, no new frags, the tank is SUPER ugly right now. DKH is continuing to rise as I dose and do water changes.

I spent this evening at Lowes picking out PVC parts and figured out how to store some RODI so I can have a decent amount of demand if needed. No more turning on the system and setting a timer so it doesn't overflow lol... Not that I've have it overflow 2 times already or anything...

I bought a 32 gal Brute and a water heater stand (only $50, supports 600lbs, and gives enough clearance for a 5gal bucket. ), I had an old bulkhead from a previous build laying around! Added a float switch to the lid to turn off the water and pump when it's hit.

Look at how hideous this thing is, I love it!

IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_3929.jpeg
Of course, my buddy helped me build the stand.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke to a nice cloudy tank, more uglies, and a ticked off hammer. The zoas are a little annoyed today as well, found that kind of strange due to their hardiness.

Tested again, and double checked by using an API test kit to compare. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Think it’s just typical uglies since the parameters are fine. It’s hard not to worry though lol.

IMG_3932.jpeg IMG_3933.jpeg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Cloudy can sometimes be a bacterial bloom. Should pass. If you have fish adding an airstone can help.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy can sometimes be a bacterial bloom. Should pass. If you have fish adding an airstone can help.
Seems that may be the case, I need to do a little more research on bacterial blooms. I have a skimmer running and good surface agitation, so that should be hopefully take care of any oxygen depletion.

My nitrates are no longer detectible and I haven't done any nutrient export, so I bet theres potential for a bacteria bloom to be consuming it all and fueling itself.

Off to research land, thanks for the air stone suggestion, gotta keep the fish happy! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae bloom has largely cleared up! Water is much more clear now, going to do a water change tomorrow and vacuum some nasties out of the sand as well. Bought a siphon with a bulb, so no more sucking the end of the hose for me lol!

Picked up a nice little Orange Ricordea who apparently wasn't well attached to the rubble it was sold on as it fell off in the bag during transport. Its now living in shot-glass-potato-sack-net-rubble-jail until it behaves.

IMG_5554.jpg IMG_5558.jpg

Also! Fire up the Ooni for pizza night. Have some 3 day cold fermented dough ready to be made into thin crust pizza.

IMG_3945.jpeg

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and break from work lol.

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to be back!

After a 10 year break from the hobby (college, jobs, buying a house, bla bla bla), I found a great deal on a used IM 40L for my home office.

Months of waiting for something to pop up on Facebook Market place was worth it. Someone was exiting the hobby and was selling a very well taken care of IM 40L AIO, with pretty much everything needed for set up, and more!

Here's a list of all the major equipment I scored in this deal:

1IM 40L w Stand
3AI Prime 16HD
3Prime 16 Mounts
1Ai Nero 3
2Cobalt Neotherm Pro 100W
1NF-1 Skimmer
1Tunze 9001 Skimmer
1Aqua Auto Micro
3Auto Aqua ATO Lite
2Aqua Neat Pumps
1Eshopps Frag Rack
1Sicce Syncra Silent 3

+ tons of chemicals, carib sea rock, various tools, etc! He pretty much just wanted all of it gone lol.

I took inventory of everything included and it came out to around $3600 new, obviously resale value isn't all that high on aquariums and gear, but for the $600 I paid, I think I did alright. The seller was very nice and knew the value, just wanted it gone to make room for a new car project. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Here it is empty the day I picked it up!

unnamed.jpg

That night, I ordered a BRS 5 Stage RODI kit, some Dr Tim's bacteria + ammonia, and some other little goodies to get this thing going.

Over the past few days I've been working on cable management:
IMG_3738.jpg

As well as mixing salt water and getting the cycle started! I'm on day 4 and everything is going smoothly. The water is clear, ammonia is present, and there are very small levels of nitrite and nitrate!

Current picture:
IMG_4727.jpg

My current plans for this tank are a nice mixed reef with 3-4 fish. I'm really interested in getting a nice zoa garden going as well.

Thanks for reading this far and I look forward to chit chatting with y'all and documenting the process here.
Hello, Nice Deal. I just picked up my brand-new one this weekend. Love the quality of the tank. I am super excited to set it all up.
I do have some zoas for sale if you are interested.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Nice Deal. I just picked up my brand-new one this weekend. Love the quality of the tank. I am super excited to set it all up.
I do have some zoas for sale if you are interested.
Nice! I'll have to check out your build thread if you make one, seems like theres a nice little group of people on here with IM 40Ls. I was impressed by it too, really nice glass and the black silicone is a great look.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of pics from the past few days, don't mind the deep fried photo editing. Been playing with Light room lol.

Thought it was cool that this clown has a perfect circle on it lol.

IMG_5593.jpg

The mushroom seems to be settling in and found a nice rock to attach to, going to give it a week before attempting to remove it and see if its stuck.
IMG_5624-3.jpg

The new GSP frag is already growing, and the first frag I got looks like its back from the dead. Day by day it has been getting more extension and even a hint of green! The frags from the same batch at the LFS I bought it from didn't make it from what I saw last time I was there, glad mine pulled through lol!

IMG_5579.jpg IMG_5581.jpg

Also, dKH is now at 8, going to maintain with All For Reef now. Ordered some Red Sea blue (7.5-8.5 dKH) since it comes in a bucket. Love a good bucket.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of pics from the past few days, don't mind the deep fried photo editing. Been playing with Light room lol.

Thought it was cool that this clown has a perfect circle on it lol.

IMG_5593.jpg

The mushroom seems to be settling in and found a nice rock to attach to, going to give it a week before attempting to remove it and see if its stuck.
IMG_5624-3.jpg

The new GSP frag is already growing, and the first frag I got looks like its back from the dead. Day by day it has been getting more extension and even a hint of green! The frags from the same batch at the LFS I bought it from didn't make it from what I saw last time I was there, glad mine pulled through lol!

IMG_5579.jpg IMG_5581.jpg

Also, dKH is now at 8, going to maintain with All For Reef now. Ordered some Red Sea blue (7.5-8.5 dKH) since it comes in a bucket. Love a good bucket.
Hey I like the pictures they look good!

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update!

Still going though the ugly stages, seeing lots of diatoms and hair algae right now.

Corals are all doing pretty well! Alk seems to be pretty stable with the use of All For Reef. Going to pick up a Kamoer doser pretty soon to automate the AFR. Annoying to dose by hand lol.

I did a few peroxide dips on my Zoas to remove the hair algae with limited success, it cleans most of it off, but it seems to come back stronger. Seems like a fleeting effort at this point. Went to the LFS this weekend and picked up a few more additions to the CUC. 2 Large Turbos, 6 hermits, and a Tiger Sand Conch.

The turbos are straight up bull dozers, going to glue the Zoas soon. But holy crap, they put in some work! Devouring hair algae and leaving a nice clean rock surface behind. It's even cleaning the frag plugs... and tipping them over...
IMG_5760.jpg

The Conch is a cool little critter, interesting to watch it drag itself around and eat algae with its trunk thing.

IMG_5755.jpg

Some coral updates! The Zoas are growing new polyps like crazy, even though they're covered in hair algae. If you full size the image below, there are 3 new polyps in the shot and another 3-4 on other parts of the frag plug. Should be a nice little colony in a few months.

IMG_5753.jpg

When I got the torch, it was splitting and it looks like the process has completed recently. There now two distinct heads. My hammer coral is splitting as well, but its been a bit grumpy lately, I'm thinking of moving it into some more flow.

IMG_5757.jpg

I told myself I wouldn't purchase more frags for a while as I'm still in the ugly stages, But the LFS had a really nice frag of green/gold Octospawn. The green flesh is super bright under blue lights and the gold tips glow so nicely, had to pick it up! Really like the contrast between the flush and tips.

IMG_5712-Enhanced-NR.jpg

As usual, thanks for reading y'all!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update!

Still going though the ugly stages, seeing lots of diatoms and hair algae right now.

Corals are all doing pretty well! Alk seems to be pretty stable with the use of All For Reef. Going to pick up a Kamoer doser pretty soon to automate the AFR. Annoying to dose by hand lol.

I did a few peroxide dips on my Zoas to remove the hair algae with limited success, it cleans most of it off, but it seems to come back stronger. Seems like a fleeting effort at this point. Went to the LFS this weekend and picked up a few more additions to the CUC. 2 Large Turbos, 6 hermits, and a Tiger Sand Conch.

The turbos are straight up bull dozers, going to glue the Zoas soon. But holy crap, they put in some work! Devouring hair algae and leaving a nice clean rock surface behind. It's even cleaning the frag plugs... and tipping them over...
IMG_5760.jpg

The Conch is a cool little critter, interesting to watch it drag itself around and eat algae with its trunk thing.

IMG_5755.jpg

Some coral updates! The Zoas are growing new polyps like crazy, even though they're covered in hair algae. If you full size the image below, there are 3 new polyps in the shot and another 3-4 on other parts of the frag plug. Should be a nice little colony in a few months.

IMG_5753.jpg

When I got the torch, it was splitting and it looks like the process has completed recently. There now two distinct heads. My hammer coral is splitting as well, but its been a bit grumpy lately, I'm thinking of moving it into some more flow.

IMG_5757.jpg

I told myself I wouldn't purchase more frags for a while as I'm still in the ugly stages, But the LFS had a really nice frag of green/gold Octospawn. The green flesh is super bright under blue lights and the gold tips glow so nicely, had to pick it up! Really like the contrast between the flush and tips.

IMG_5712-Enhanced-NR.jpg

As usual, thanks for reading y'all!
Beautiful octo!

My conch loves vacuuming up diatoms on the sand bed, but know what else he does? He cleans my zoa frags! I put zoa frags in the sand, ripped up as much of the long GHA as possible, and the conch cleaned around and between all of the polyps. completely clean frags afterwards. Not sure if all conches do that, but might be worth a try dropping the zoa frags in the sand bed for a bit!

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful octo!

My conch loves vacuuming up diatoms on the sand bed, but know what else he does? He cleans my zoa frags! I put zoa frags in the sand, ripped up as much of the long GHA as possible, and the conch cleaned around and between all of the polyps. completely clean frags afterwards. Not sure if all conches do that, but might be worth a try dropping the zoa frags in the sand bed for a bit!
Thank you, I will absolutely try that!

They're going to get knocked over anyway while the turbos do their thing lol.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will absolutely try that!

They're going to get knocked over anyway while the turbos do their thing lol.
The turbos mop up the rocks pretty well (and any macros you have)! I have two conches, one with a significantly better work ethic than the other--that one will climb rocks to reach algae. Luck of the draw, maybe.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turbos mop up the rocks pretty well (and any macros you have)! I have two conches, one with a significantly better work ethic than the other--that one will climb rocks to reach algae. Luck of the draw, maybe.
I went to check on the tank after reading your comment and found mine on the rocks (or trying at least), looks like I might have one with a good work ethic lol. Also laid out a nice Zoa frag buffet.
IMG_3995.jpeg IMG_3996.jpeg

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great despite the uglies! Mines in the diatom phase as well. Love your coral pics too.

Saw in another post you’re a fellow North Carolinian. I’m just outside of Wilmington.

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great despite the uglies! Mines in the diatom phase as well. Love your coral pics too.

Saw in another post you’re a fellow North Carolinian. I’m just outside of Wilmington.
Thank you! I do some manual removal during my water changes to keep things somewhat clean. I’m sure there are uglier days ahead of me haha.

Nice! I’m over in the mountains in WNC. Looks like we have some cool expos coming up, one in Charlotte in the spring and one in Raleigh in the summer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back