Max par for ab, homewrecker, other tenuis, millies?

BradR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randomly placed some great frags under 400MH and G6’s and now have some seeing 500-700 par per MQ-510. Whoops. They look okay, polyps are out. Maybe I’m imaging a couple ab’s getting lighter, lol. Saw 1-8-24 thread on par for frags and was wondering where to draw the line for the MH and G6 max par #’s? Thanks for any info!

IMG_7212.jpeg IMG_7213.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mh I don’t think it matters, as the corals do just fine without acclimation to super high par numbers.. leds for some odd reason it’s best to acclimate the corals over time to higher par values. As for a value? I think they can take what ever you throw at them over time.. I’ve seen par numbers over 1000!with direct sunlight hitting tanks and the corals love it..

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mh I don’t think it matters, as the corals do just fine without acclimation to super high par numbers.. leds for some odd reason it’s best to acclimate the corals over time to higher par values. As for a value? I think they can take what ever you throw at them over time.. I’ve seen par numbers over 1000!with direct sunlight hitting tanks and the corals love it..
I agree. I’d be careful with LED and acclimate slowly. But with MH I don’t think there’s a PAR limit.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what has been said so far. T5s and MH do a good job with relatively even light distribution. LEDs often have a pickle shaped cone effect. To the degree they overlap, you may get some hot spots. If you don't have enough you may get cold spots.

LEDs hung higher -- and more numerous -- can easily (not cheaply) solve for both problems. I don't hate on LEDs as I run 10 of them. Less heat and less maintenance and they work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back