maybe a little aggressive with the kalk?

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

quick question: my 65g mixed reef has been going strong with baseline pH around 8.1, dkh 7-8. I started a gravity kalk drip 2 weeks ago-- was bumping pH and alk a tad. Yesterday I mixed new batch (weekly) and turned the drip up a bit. Came home and not surprised to see pH on the meter read 8.14 (calibrated 2 days ago). However when I tested with new Red Sea pH/kalk I was very surprised to see pH 8.4 and dKh 14!! I checked with my API and found pH 8.3ish and dKh 12.

I turned off the kalk and figured I'd restart at a much slower drip tomorrow.

1) do you think this high of a dKH is stress level high or ok?
2) not sure what to make of this pH meter- reads ok when I calibrate but doesn't even come close to what I'm getting with API and Red Sea.. frustrating. Guess I should stick with the test kits?

Suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Brad

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tad bit high... Stress level high? Your organisms will tell you. Some may be anywhere from fine to ticked. Find a happy medium. Your parameters seemed ok before the kalk drip and if they are remaining consistent within those ranges why change? Any reason you wanted to upset the apple cart. Just curious if you are trying something new or if you felt you had to due to organisms telling you they were unhappy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 dKH is not a big issue unless you have low nutrients and have SPS corals.

I'd just let it decline. :)

I'd be more inclined to believe a stand alone pH meter over a kit, since you can calibrate and check the meter but not so easily the kit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back