Maybe it was a Narc

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might been a narc member who was telling someone to use some kind of screen when acclimating new bulbs and if it was i need to know about what they used.

I will be replacing my metal halide bulbs this month there about a year and a half old and i know i can cut the time back on the lights but seems like they were saying to put some kind of screens on and remove one at a time until acclimation is done any info will be good

Thanks Paul

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What some people do is use three layers of common window screen. Every week remove one layer.

I rarely have a problem when I change bulbs but I do watch the coral up top very closely for the first few days after a change.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window screen (polyester?) method worked well for me in the past. I know some people shorten the light period, but I never knew where to start (how much to shorten) and I happened to have some extra window screen material laying around at the time. If your light is pendant type, you can raise the light fixture by a few inches and bring it down by 1/2 inch every week.

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I've mentioned window screen in a couple of threads lately. You can get it cheap at HD or Lowe's if you don't have some lying around. You can layer it and remove a layer every few days, or if you're just breaking in a new bulb, you can use one layer for a few days, remove it part of the day for a few days, and then remove it totally.
HTH,
Mariner

OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info i liked the screen idea way better than cutting my light back. I was just scared about my bulbs being so old that if i through new bulbs in there it would shock my coral. Thanks again!!!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back