Meet my sweet baby, Zilla! The sulphur headed monster!

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name : Godzilla

Scientific Name: Gymnothorax fimbriatus

Species Name: Fimbriated Moray, Dark-Spotted Moray, Spot-face Moray, Sulphur Head Moray, Yellow Head Moray

—————————————————————

Biology : Godzilla (Zilla for short) is a Fimbriated Moray, a medium-sized moray that can reach up to 3 feet. Hailing from the indo-pacific, more specifically the coastal reefs of oceanic islands from Madagascar to Polynesia and from south Japan to New Caledoni.

Zilla's body features a white cream to light-brown background, dotted with numerous black spots. Her greenish-yellow snout tapers and features black dots as well.

—————————————————————

Despite what I've been told about the species, Zilla has always adjusted well and is generally mannerable despite her ferocious reputation.

She is the very first eel I got when I started the hobby. My LFS was almost giving it away in my mind, pricing her somewhere between $60-120. I still have the receipt in a box

Love ya zilla!

20231127_133613.jpg
20231127_133706.jpg
20231127_130036.jpg
meet-godzilla-v0-ari6yap3a2e81.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more detail would be great. What size tank is she in and what are her tank mates. How big was she when you got her, how long have you had her, and how big is she now. The answers to these questions will help other hobbyist that may be interested in this eel. I see a clown trigger in one shot, and that would be an appropriate tank mate for this eel. Over time this eel does not play well with others, and will do better in tanks at least 180g. The honeymoon period of this eel can last as long as 2 years.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more detail would be great. What size tank is she in and what are her tank mates. How big was she when you got her, how long have you had her, and how big is she now. The answers to these questions will help other hobbyist that may be interested in this eel. I see a clown trigger in one shot, and that would be an appropriate tank mate for this eel. Over time this eel does not play well with others, and will do better in tanks at least 180g. The honeymoon period of this eel can last as long as 2 years.
You are correct sir. Allow me to expound, if not for anything else the communities sake.

Zilla is in a 180 gallon. She initially was the trifecta to my bamboo shark + haleys ray trio. I've learned a lot since then please don't berate me. (I know it sounds crazy but she and the shark had some sort some symbiotic link, I'm not crazy you're crazy...)

Alot of fish have come and gone ( at no fault of her own) and over time the tank has evolved into a species only set up. My point being she grasped quickly the idea of being fed regularly and never showed aggressive behavior towards other eels or fish( that I've ever observed). She is open to sharing dens aswell but prefers her solitude mainly.

She is beyond hardy, surviving 2 crashes and looking vibrant as ever.

Initially she was around 18" from the LFS, and she indeed put up major fight at the store. Since then she has been very docile. Sitting comfortably at ~24" +-. I've had her for 2 years this December
20221107_064413.jpg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct sir. Allow me to expound, if not for anything else the communities sake.

Zilla is in a 180 gallon. She initially was the trifecta to my bamboo shark + haleys ray trio. I've learned a lot since then please don't berate me. (I know it sounds crazy but she and the shark had some sort some symbiotic link, I'm not crazy you're crazy...)

Alot of fish have come and gone ( at no fault of her own) and over time the tank has evolved into a species only set up. My point being she grasped quickly the idea of being fed regularly and never showed aggressive behavior towards other eels or fish( that I've ever observed). She is open to sharing dens aswell but prefers her solitude mainly.

She is beyond hardy, surviving 2 crashes and looking vibrant as ever.

Initially she was around 18" from the LFS, and she indeed put up major fight at the store. Since then she has been very docile. Sitting comfortably at ~24" +-. I've had her for 2 years this December
20221107_064413.jpg
Oh my shes huge!!! Ive got a jeweled too so seeing her compared to the jeweled is nuts! Beautiful eels :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you kind sir.

Zilla likely won't get much-much longer. I'd say 2 1/2 feet at most. Hoping for more girth at that point.
20231223_125309.jpg
Shes just beautiful!! Never seen an eel like her before.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back