Melanurus wrasse scaly whitening

vollkomm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I brought home a melanurus wrasse on day 2024.04.08., it is currently in quarantine.

After we got home, I noticed a small dark bump on her right side, which today has become the center of a one-centimeter-diameter circular scaly whitening.

By morning, the fish's appetite has decreased and it is less active, but it is still swimming and interested. There is also a Valenciennea Strigata in the quarantine with her, who behaves completely normally as before and does not show any similar phenomena.

Please help me identify the problem and what would be the most optimal treatment.

Attachments

• 20240412_084058.jpg
    20240412_084058.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240412_083729.jpg
    20240412_083729.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240412_083715.jpg
    20240412_083715.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I brought home a melanurus wrasse on day 2024.04.08., it is currently in quarantine.

After we got home, I noticed a small dark bump on her right side, which today has become the center of a one-centimeter-diameter circular scaly whitening.

By morning, the fish's appetite has decreased and it is less active, but it is still swimming and interested. There is also a Valenciennea Strigata in the quarantine with her, who behaves completely normally as before and does not show any similar phenomena.

Please help me identify the problem and what would be the most optimal treatment.

That could be Uronema. If so, I'm sorry, but there is no good treatment for an advanced case like this. Here is an article I wrote about it:

OP
OP
V

vollkomm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Uronema. If so, I'm sorry, but there is no good treatment for an advanced case like this. Here is an article I wrote about it:

If not, what else can I possibly treat? Bacterial infection perhaps? Valenciennea strigata, which I quarantine with melanurus, does not yet show any symptoms of the disease. What can I do to protect him? I can solve to separate them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If not, what else can I possibly treat? Bacterial infection perhaps? Valenciennea strigata, which I quarantine with melanurus, does not yet show any symptoms of the disease. What can I do to protect him? I can solve to separate them.
Uronema is not usually 'contagious' - it can be in many tanks with no symptoms. The key is good water quality. It could also (as you said) be an infected injury - and you could try a broad-spectrum antibiotic in a QT tank (such as kanamycin) - I don't know what you have available. Agree, though that my first thought was uronema as @Jay Hemdal suggested

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema only infects certain species, I’ve never seen it in a goby. Most often affected are wrasse, chromis and anthias.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back