Melting away day after delivery

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all, I received a hammer that looked like it was shrinking upon arrival (see attached). Woke up next day to some strings of tissue dangling the next day, increasing throughout the day. Today is Day 2 and it’s almost all bones. Any idea on what I can do save it, if it’s possible at all? All other corals delivered — lps and sps— looking good. Here are stats:

ca: 440
Mg: 1350
Kh: 8.4
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78-79
No lighting day of arrival, a couple of 2-3 hrs low level lighting day after.

IMG_0453.jpeg IMG_0489.jpeg IMG_0495.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dip it in an iodine based dip if you think it has an infection, but otherwise I'd just leave it alone.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that 0 phos is a problem you'll want to correct sooner rather than later but that looks like it was not a healthy hammer when you got it. Sometimes corals are just not healthy and shipping stress does them in and there's little that can be done to prevent death.

I got an acro last week in a shipment that gave up the ghost within a few days of arrival. It looked like it had a 50/50 shot but it went downhill fast. The vendor is sending a replacement at no charge. Reach out to the vendor you purchased from now with pics so you can maybe get a refund or replacement.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that 0 phos is a problem you'll want to correct sooner rather than later but that looks like it was not a healthy hammer when you got it. Sometimes corals are just not healthy and shipping stress does them in and there's little that can be done to prevent death.
100%

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back