Mercury in Aquarium Fish Foods ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you read this ?

I wish we could find out from hobbyist's, which company's may,..... contain mercury.

Date: 04/23/15 15:00:59
To: 427hiss
Subject: Mercury In Your Fish Food? Sweet Korean Reef Tank

CORAL Magazine - Subscribe Today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crying Wolf: Mercury in Aquarium Fish Foods, Social Media and the Controversy that Shouldn’t Have Been

Thomas Brown of Thomas Vision Reef, caused a stir with claims of extremely high mercury levels in a frozen aquarium fish food!

by Ret Talbot

On Friday evening, April 17th, 2015, Thomas Brown of Thomas Vision Reef, a self-described “aquarium web series” on YouTube, lit up a small corner of the social media landscape with what Brown termed “big news.” Brown told his more than 2000 followers on Facebook that he had been running tests on the top three frozen fish foods used by aquarists to feed their aquarium fishes. The tests were for a video, he said, and in the process of having the tests run, he claims he discovered one of the foods had “high levels of ‘Mercury’!” According to Brown, these elevated levels of mercury may be harming one’s aquarium.

“Which ever frozen food you are currently using send it in to be tested by triton [sic] and that way you can get the results for yourself and make sure your tank is safe. Now I have to say I am not sure of [sic] Mercury is bad for you tank but the levels found in the found [sic] were way past FDA regulations for Human consumption.” —Thomas Brown

After looking in depth at the numbers (read more), it seems clear to me that, in all probability, Brown either received incorrect results or misinterpreted the results. The situation, however, is more than a simple mistake or rush to judgment. In fact, in an interesting way, it is not unlike a similar story I covered in the seafood industry–an instance where consumers made choices based predominately on risk, and those choices ultimately proved detrimental to their health because they didn’t understand the data in the face of a proliferation of fear-mongering in the popular (and, yes, social) media. More on that later, but first, let’s look at the data.

Continue reading Ret's story on our website, Reef2Rainforest.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercury Megadose? The Devil In the Data
The Devil Is In The Details Mr. Brown! by Ret Talbot

"While I couldn’t make the test results or the University that did the testing public I did share the results and the University with Ret Talbot. Who wrote an article with is take this situation and the data behind it [sic]. Now I was painted as the man who cried wolf but that is just one mans [sic] take on it." - Thomas Brown

Since Brown published this statement, I have received numerous inquiries about the test results. The purpose of this blog entry is to respond to those inquiries as best as I am able, and bring readers up to speed on the most recent developments in this ongoing story.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back